Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Totally Lost

1. Back To Top    #1

Totally Lost

I am 1st time pool owner of intex ultra frame 16x48 in. pool and I have no idea where to start when it comes to the chemicals needed to start-up my pool. The pool is 5,061 gal. Please help with ALL info needed to get started as well as to keep it managed over the summer. If this helps I live in NC. All info is appreciated!! Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Totally Lost

Start up[ in Pool School. That'll give you an overview and help you ask some more specific questions. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

First and foremost, you need to be able to test your water so you can monitor its condition and figure out what to add. We prefer the drop-based test kits for accuracy, though they cost a little more than others.

Because your pool is probably equipped with a filter and pump that doesn't have a lot of extra capacity, it's important that you keep up with the water and that means daily testing. I also recommend avoiding any powdered pool chemicals because they tend to settle on the bottom and produce cloudiness that can take days to clear.

Check out Pool School and feel free to fire away with questions.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sault Ontario

Pool school has all the info you'll ever need, link is in upper right corner. It's up to you to sit and read thru it a few times, the BBB approach is not hard but it takes a small investment of time to learn it. By the end of 1 summer you can easily be a pro.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

They've already answered the question the same way I would, so I'll just say

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!