Introducing myself.

May 15, 2013
Hi. I am tennisluv33 and I have owned and loved a 17,000 gal above ground SofPool for 10 years. I took the cover off yesterday and it is totally black!!!!!!!!!!! The winterizing process must not have worked. I am devastated! Help! I know I will enjoy reading other posts and look forward to this summer.

Sat. Idx: 0.2
TDS: 900
CYA: 90
Tot. Chl. 0
Free Chl. 0
pH: 7.8
Tot. Alk 90.
Adj. Tot. Alk 63.
Tot. Hdn 268
Swampy YES!
Black Algae Light
My pool dealer did this test. Rec. and I did: 3 lbs. Burn Out3
26 oz. Banish
Then: 12 lbs. Balance Pak 100
Then: 2.75 lbs. Lo'N Slo

Pool went from dark, dark, dark green to milky aqua. Can see about 2 ft. down. Will have water tested again tomorrow.

What do you think? Now I am reading online that I 'should have' drained pool 50% first.
I have an above ground SofPool and I can't backwash or easily vacuum to waste.

If my cover is swept and dry is it safe for next winter????

Thank you, thank you!!! I'm 80 years old and not so savy about posting pictures.

Welcome to tfp, tennisluv33 :wave:

tennisluv33 said:
Now I am reading online that I 'should have' drained pool 50% first.
Since your cya level is high, we would recommend a partial/drain refill. Our recommended level is 30-50 ppm cya. Much higher than that and fighting algae becomes very difficult. So a 50% drain/refill will get you to about ~90 ppm. Watch out though, cya testing is the one that pool stores most often get wrong...it would no be fun if you drained just to find that you didn't need to.

The best thing you can do for your pool (and your checkbook) is to get your own appropriate test kit and stop buying all of the expensive stuff the pool store wants to sell you. The test kit will allow you to know what your pool needs and only put in what it needs (with our help). See this pool school link that discusses appropriate test links: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison. Many of us have the tf-100 since that gives the most bang for buck.

OMG! I drain/refilled about 50% and today I received my test kit. I looked inside and closed it quickly. There is no way I will understand any of it. Help. I'm not kidding. I don't have that kind of mind. I am a counselor and am right brained. I fear I have wasted $60.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tennisluv33:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

tennisluv33 said:
today I received my test kit. I looked inside and closed it quickly. There is no way I will understand any of it. Help. I'm not kidding.
:calm:

Dave will take care of you.

You can do this! Seriously! It's just new right now, but you will get it. You also have the entire forum community as close as your keyboard to help you through it.

I love your calming words but I don't even know how to use this website! I may have said earlier that I am 80 years old and am not an expert on the computer. I only know how to post right here and read whatever replies are here. Didn't even know how to post a pic of my pool water. Woke up today believing I need to go back to the pool store and then try to sell my test kit on CL. Do you really believe I can use it correctly? The first few pages say that it is difficult!!!!

The kit is very easy! I actually find it fun! Just follow the steps word for word and you got this!
Dont buy any more of that balance pak stuff, or any junk the pool place wants to sell you =)
bleach, baking soda, and borax will pretty much replace all of that 'fancy worded' stuff!

Before I found this site, I would take my water to 2 diff pool stores who would always tell me to buy & add different things every time! It's an endless cycle with them!

category.php?c=getting_started

Good luck!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support