Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself.

1. Back To Top    #1

Introducing myself.

Hi. I am tennisluv33 and I have owned and loved a 17,000 gal above ground SofPool for 10 years. I took the cover off yesterday and it is totally black!!!!!!!!!!! The winterizing process must not have worked. I am devastated! Help! I know I will enjoy reading other posts and look forward to this summer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Introducing myself.

Seems like everyone on these here forums loves pics of the process, so, please oblige!

You're 3/4 of the way there, you came to the right place.

Best wishes
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

We love the pics but the most essential item to get you started is good test results. Can you post those?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Sat. Idx: 0.2
    TDS: 900
    CYA: 90
    Tot. Chl. 0
    Free Chl. 0
    pH: 7.8
    Tot. Alk 90.
    Adj. Tot. Alk 63.
    Tot. Hdn 268
    Swampy YES!
    Black Algae Light
    My pool dealer did this test. Rec. and I did: 3 lbs. Burn Out3
    26 oz. Banish
    Then: 12 lbs. Balance Pak 100
    Then: 2.75 lbs. Lo'N Slo

Pool went from dark, dark, dark green to milky aqua. Can see about 2 ft. down. Will have water tested again tomorrow.

What do you think? Now I am reading online that I 'should have' drained pool 50% first.
    I have an above ground SofPool and I can't backwash or easily vacuum to waste.

If my cover is swept and dry is it safe for next winter????

Thank you, thank you!!! I'm 80 years old and not so savy about posting pictures.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, tennisluv33

Quote Originally Posted by tennisluv33
    Now I am reading online that I 'should have' drained pool 50% first.
    Since your cya level is high, we would recommend a partial/drain refill. Our recommended level is 30-50 ppm cya. Much higher than that and fighting algae becomes very difficult. So a 50% drain/refill will get you to about ~90 ppm. Watch out though, cya testing is the one that pool stores most often get wrong...it would no be fun if you drained just to find that you didn't need to.

The best thing you can do for your pool (and your checkbook) is to get your own appropriate test kit and stop buying all of the expensive stuff the pool store wants to sell you. The test kit will allow you to know what your pool needs and only put in what it needs (with our help). See this pool school link that discusses appropriate test links: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison. Many of us have the tf-100 since that gives the most bang for buck.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

PS.
    This morning, as I said, water is better looking, whitish/aqua. Chlorine is 0. What next?

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for any help. Where and how do I buy the test kit? When I try to go to TFP store, all I get it the logo store. Where is the TF 100 kit sold?

8. Back To Top    #8

tennisluv33:

Welcome to TFP

You can get the TF-100 here: http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

PS.
    This morning, as I said, water is better looking, whitish/aqua. Chlorine is 0. What next?
    I would still do a drain/refill of about 50% to get your cya level down first.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

OMG! I drain/refilled about 50% and today I received my test kit. I looked inside and closed it quickly. There is no way I will understand any of it. Help. I'm not kidding. I don't have that kind of mind. I am a counselor and am right brained. I fear I have wasted $60.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

If you got it from TFTeskits, PM me with your last name included.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

tennisluv33:

Welcome to the forum

today I received my test kit. I looked inside and closed it quickly. There is no way I will understand any of it. Help. I'm not kidding.

Dave will take care of you.

You can do this! Seriously! It's just new right now, but you will get it. You also have the entire forum community as close as your keyboard to help you through it.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

I love your calming words but I don't even know how to use this website! I may have said earlier that I am 80 years old and am not an expert on the computer. I only know how to post right here and read whatever replies are here. Didn't even know how to post a pic of my pool water. Woke up today believing I need to go back to the pool store and then try to sell my test kit on CL. Do you really believe I can use it correctly? The first few pages say that it is difficult!!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

If you got it from TFTeskits, PM me with your last name included.
    OK, then call me. (919) 528-1104
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

I will. Many thanks. After work. What is a good time? I am in CO, mt. time.

16. Back To Top    #16

If you can read and follow directions and count, you can do it.

In about a week you'll remember this thread and have a good laugh at yourself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Perhaps you could venture down to your local High School and find a Science Teacher willing to show you how to perform the tests, after all how long have you been paying taxes where you live!?!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

18. Back To Top    #18

Welcome aboard TFP
    Nothing to it you'll get the hang of it. You got this far at 80 didn't you, says a lot about your tenacity...

Pool IG, 20'x30'x5', 15,000 gals, QuartzScapes NPT Tahoe Blue, Sundek Classic Texture, DE Hayward Pro-grid DE7220 , Pentair erosion auto CH, Main PMP Century 1.5hp , Polaris 280, booster PMP Century 3/4hp, Electronics PNL timer/light Pro Logic Model AQL2-SS-RF w/Remote CNTL

19. Back To Top    #19

The kit is very easy! I actually find it fun! Just follow the steps word for word and you got this!
    Dont buy any more of that balance pak stuff, or any junk the pool place wants to sell you =)
    bleach, baking soda, and borax will pretty much replace all of that 'fancy worded' stuff!

Before I found this site, I would take my water to 2 diff pool stores who would always tell me to buy & add different things every time! It's an endless cycle with them!

category.php?c=getting_started

Good luck!!!!!
    18k gal. 16x32 IG cement painted
    Hayward DE EC-65

20. Back To Top    #20

Great News
    Pool IG, 20'x30'x5', 15,000 gals, QuartzScapes NPT Tahoe Blue, Sundek Classic Texture, DE Hayward Pro-grid DE7220 , Pentair erosion auto CH, Main PMP Century 1.5hp , Polaris 280, booster PMP Century 3/4hp, Electronics PNL timer/light Pro Logic Model AQL2-SS-RF w/Remote CNTL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast