Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why do we have main drains?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why do we have main drains?

Why do we put main drains in pools in the first place? On the few occasions when you have to drain the pool, rent a submersible. What do they do except cause trouble sometimes?

Post split from thread and placed in a thread of it's own. Please don't hijack a thread with a new question. Instead, create a new thread for your topic. Thanks! - 257WbyMag-Forum Mod

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Why do we have main drains?

Welcome to TFP!

Because it is easier to drain with one. It's also another route to pull water into the system for good circulation. Thirdly, they are useful in situations where one might have a high water table and a need to drain their pool as many builders will put a relief in the drain to allow for water to rise through the opening and equalize pressure.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

It's seldom possible to drain a pool with the main drain since the pump has limited lift capability. The main drain is useful in improving circulation and in providing a deep water pump intake to protect the pump if the skimmer clogs or water evaporates and the pool level falls below the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    North Georgia

I had my main drains installed on the side of my pool so I did have to walk on them (shallow pool).
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Frederick County, MD

My mains are on the side of my fiberglass pool. I look at the as another way to get circulation as well as "skimmer clogged with toys" insurance for my pump.

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG