Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace Weir

1. Back To Top    #1

Hatfield, PA

Replace Weir

Hello guys,

We were swimming yesterday and got a little rowdy. In the end I heard the pump lose prime. The culprit I found was a stuck Weir. I poked the weir and to my surprise it snapped from the rotating portion near the bottom. The skimmer is a Sylvan skimmer and I found potentially correct parts (though if anyone can suggest proper part numbers and the best places to buy them I would be most appreciative.) . I took a cursory look in there and I couldn't see how to remove the old rotating portion adn install the new Weir. Is there a technique I am missing?

2. Back To Top    #2

Sahuarita, AZ
    The points around which it pivots are usually on some flexible tabs. Try pushing the weir to one side to see if it frees up the other side... if not, a screw drive will likely pry it out... shouldn't take any real pressure, don't crack the skimmer itself!
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

Alamo, CA
    I just had to replace the weir in mine, too. I saw it floating in the middle of the pool one morning last weekend.

I took the loose part to the pool store and they matched up a new unit for me complete with the part that isn't supposed to move. In my case, there is a single phillips-head screw in the middle of the fixed part that is accessible from inside the skimmer. After removing the screw, the part slides up and out. Replacing it was tricky as it kept trying to float up as I got the screw back in.

I've also heard of "universal" weirs that fit into the opening with spring-loaded points similar to a toilet paper holder, but I'd think that could come loose again too easily.

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit