Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Hartsville South Carolina

Raising PH

Good morning all, I am in the process of balancing my water, with much help from this site. I ran a 24 hour boost on my swcg, added some CYA and am getting ready to add muriatic acid to lower my PH. I'm attempting to eventually lower my TA. My question is how long will it take for the PH to rise back up from say 7.2 to 7.8. With swg running and 4 deck jets. I know it varies but are we talking hours or days or even week. Just curious so I know what to expect. Should I be testing PH more often than once a day during this process?
    This mornings test results before adding CYA
    FC 4
    PH 8.0
    Cya 30
    TA 200
    CH 170
    Thank everyone,
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising PH

In my pool, with just the return jets and no waterfall, it would take several days to rise from 7.2 to 7.8. I doubt it would rise in hours and certainly sooner than weeks. I don't understand all of the reasons for pH rise so hopefully someone will come along and explain that to us.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

3. Back To Top    #3

By any chance do you have a blower for your spa jets? With a starting TA of 150 I was able to raise pH from 7.2 to 7.8 in about 1 hour of aerating with the blower on. Now that my TA is down to 80, I'd probably need to leave it on all day to get the same results.
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

It can take days or it can take several weeks to lower TA. Nobody can really tell you an accurate amount of time that it will take. Just keep lowering your pH down to 7.2 each time you add acid and check you TA along the way. It will get down eventually.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT