Trichlor Puck Senario

Mr. Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Spring, TX (Houston)
So, I was thinking about this and decided to see what you guys thought.

If you were to use the trichlor pucks (in a floater) to maintain chlorine and use bleach to 'fine tune'/shock the pool. How much water would you need to replace a month (week?) to keep CYA levels in check? I know it could be a wide range, depending on the size of the pool and other chemical levels.

Assuming that all other levels remain at/near goal levels, could this scenario work?

I do something similar. I have a rainbow feeder and only use 1-2 pucks per week starting in april and ending in September. the rest of the year I use bleach only. at the beginning of the april my cya is usually about 20-30 and by September it's about 90-100. using bleach only in the winter allows it to drop.

cartridge filter, 22-23k gallon plaster. I have to pour in a half jug of the walmart great value bleach every couple days. I usually put 1 puck in on sunday and 1 on thursday. I don't keep everything perfect like some on this site, but I never get algae. sometimes I pour a whole bottle of bleach in to supplement.

You can use poolcalculator.com to figure out how much CYA each puck is adding to your pool. From there you can figure out a percentage of water replacement to lower CYA. I use pucks but I also vacuum to waste knowing full well to keep an eye on CYA.

Pucks only unless I need to raise to shock level which is bleach. The only way I can get away with it is because of vacuuming to waste and I have a very small leak. Even then by the end of the season my CYA is 60-70, I prefer 50 because of all day sun.

Pucks aren't the ease some think, you still have to maintain your TA above 100 otherwise your pH will drop rapidly. And guess what happens when you're changing water to continually lower your CYA? Yep, TA goes with the water and you have to raise again. Not difficult, but it's not a "set it and forget it" thing. I am lucky in Louisville as we have very high quality water (some of the best in the nation actually) and it's relatively cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have contemplated this too... But for the pro's here wouldn't the Liquidator suffice for ongoing chlorine similar to a 3" tab chlorinator w/o the negatives of the tabs?

Are the 3" tabs cheaper than say Liquid chlorine in a 12.5% concentration at like $3 a gal? Not sure how to calulate

Mr Blue...We have similiar size pool and I calculated that 5# of tri chlor will raise our pool CYA by 14ppm....
Not sure how long that 5# will last...maybe a month. SO each Month CYA will raise 14ppm ignoring water removal. So with your backwashing and vacuuming maybe only 10 at most?

Maybe I answered myself: given 24k gals
5# trichlor raises FC 23ppm... avg price per lb ~$2.75(i know cheaper in bulk) ~$13.75
4.23G of 12.5% bleach to raise FC 23ppm ~ $3/gal ~$12.60...

So it's cheaper for straight bleach over 3" Tabs??

blownby said:
Maybe I answered myself: given 24k gals
5# trichlor raises FC 23ppm... avg price per lb ~$2.75(i know cheaper in bulk) ~$13.75
4.23G of 12.5% bleach to raise FC 23ppm ~ $3/gal ~$12.60...

So it's cheaper for straight bleach over 3" Tabs??
Don't forget the cost of the Baking Soda!

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate or something, but why pay for CYA that I'll just be pumping out again?

My average FC loss per day is about 1.5 PPM. Over a week, that's about 10.5, which would require ~14 oz of trichlor pucks to maintain based on my pool size. According to poolcalculator.com, that would raise my CYA 6.5 every week. If I wanted to maintain my CYA @ 40 PPM, I'd have to drain my pool 15% every week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.