Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor Puck Senario

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor Puck Senario

So, I was thinking about this and decided to see what you guys thought.

If you were to use the trichlor pucks (in a floater) to maintain chlorine and use bleach to 'fine tune'/shock the pool. How much water would you need to replace a month (week?) to keep CYA levels in check? I know it could be a wide range, depending on the size of the pool and other chemical levels.

Assuming that all other levels remain at/near goal levels, could this scenario work?
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trichlor Puck Senario

I do something similar. I have a rainbow feeder and only use 1-2 pucks per week starting in april and ending in September. the rest of the year I use bleach only. at the beginning of the april my cya is usually about 20-30 and by September it's about 90-100. using bleach only in the winter allows it to drop.

3. Back To Top    #3

but yes, 1-2 pucks per week is not enough in the summer and I do supplement with bleach.

4. Back To Top    #4

What kind of filter do you have?

I'm also taking into account backwashing and vacuuming, both of which will result in replacing water.

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, what is the size of your pool?
    How much bleach do you usually go through in a given week?

Curious, as you are 'right down the street' from me.

6. Back To Top    #6

cartridge filter, 22-23k gallon plaster. I have to pour in a half jug of the walmart great value bleach every couple days. I usually put 1 puck in on sunday and 1 on thursday. I don't keep everything perfect like some on this site, but I never get algae. sometimes I pour a whole bottle of bleach in to supplement.

7. Back To Top    #7

I've only had my pool for 2 years so i'm still learning too, but this seems to be working for me so far.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use poolcalculator.com to figure out how much CYA each puck is adding to your pool. From there you can figure out a percentage of water replacement to lower CYA. I use pucks but I also vacuum to waste knowing full well to keep an eye on CYA.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you exclusivity use pucks?

10. Back To Top    #10

Pucks only unless I need to raise to shock level which is bleach. The only way I can get away with it is because of vacuuming to waste and I have a very small leak. Even then by the end of the season my CYA is 60-70, I prefer 50 because of all day sun.

Pucks aren't the ease some think, you still have to maintain your TA above 100 otherwise your pH will drop rapidly. And guess what happens when you're changing water to continually lower your CYA? Yep, TA goes with the water and you have to raise again. Not difficult, but it's not a "set it and forget it" thing. I am lucky in Louisville as we have very high quality water (some of the best in the nation actually) and it's relatively cheap.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm assuming that you vacuum quite a bit?

Water is pretty cheap here as well, so I'm not worried about that. I guess I just need to keep and eye on it until I get the feel of the pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have contemplated this too... But for the pro's here wouldn't the Liquidator suffice for ongoing chlorine similar to a 3" tab chlorinator w/o the negatives of the tabs?

Are the 3" tabs cheaper than say Liquid chlorine in a 12.5% concentration at like $3 a gal? Not sure how to calulate
    18x37 Vinyl Grecian (24k gals) 8' Inter fab(la mesa) Diving board w/ waterfall & Led, Pentair Laminars & Intellibrite 5g

Star Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, IntelliPro 3HP Variable Spd Pump, Max E Therm 400k BTU,
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 & actuators,...Now looking to BBB

13. Back To Top    #13

Mr Blue...We have similiar size pool and I calculated that 5# of tri chlor will raise our pool CYA by 14ppm....
    Not sure how long that 5# will last...maybe a month. SO each Month CYA will raise 14ppm ignoring water removal. So with your backwashing and vacuuming maybe only 10 at most?
    18x37 Vinyl Grecian (24k gals) 8' Inter fab(la mesa) Diving board w/ waterfall & Led, Pentair Laminars & Intellibrite 5g

Star Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, IntelliPro 3HP Variable Spd Pump, Max E Therm 400k BTU,

14. Back To Top    #14

Bleach/liquid chlorine are always cheaper than pucks. It's the cheapest source of chlorine there is.

15. Back To Top    #15

Maybe I answered myself: given 24k gals
    5# trichlor raises FC 23ppm... avg price per lb ~$2.75(i know cheaper in bulk) ~$13.75
    4.23G of 12.5% bleach to raise FC 23ppm ~ $3/gal ~$12.60...

So it's cheaper for straight bleach over 3" Tabs??

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by blownby
    Maybe I answered myself: given 24k gals
    5# trichlor raises FC 23ppm... avg price per lb ~$2.75(i know cheaper in bulk) ~$13.75
    4.23G of 12.5% bleach to raise FC 23ppm ~ $3/gal ~$12.60...

So it's cheaper for straight bleach over 3" Tabs??
    Don't forget the cost of the Baking Soda!

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate or something, but why pay for CYA that I'll just be pumping out again?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok, but was just looking at the pure cost of the chlorine, not compensating for the extras effects needed to balance....

So it looks like the liquidator is in my future for auto daily maintenance!

18. Back To Top    #18

My average FC loss per day is about 1.5 PPM. Over a week, that's about 10.5, which would require ~14 oz of trichlor pucks to maintain based on my pool size. According to poolcalculator.com, that would raise my CYA 6.5 every week. If I wanted to maintain my CYA @ 40 PPM, I'd have to drain my pool 15% every week.
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

19. Back To Top    #19

Yesh. I don't think I'm vacuuming that much!