Pool Decking Options

Feb 26, 2012
Previous owner put in the pool and decking as well as the wood deck you are about to see in the images.

I'd like to hear opinions on what people think I should replace the wood deck portion with. We really do not like the wood deck because 1) it has 2 heighths as you can see some of it is flush with the peagravel pool deck and then there is an elevated area where our table is. 2) We are planning to put in an outdoor kitchen and don't want to have it over a wood deck 3) would like something that is a bit more consistent

Some of our options are: 1) rip it out (which is going to happen regardless) and put in a continued pea-gravel deck, my concern here is if it will match. Anyone ever had to add additional pea-gravel decking after the original? 2) rip out the deck put in concrete and go with a product called (carvestone) this is really expensive

Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Particularly if anyone has seen success adding more peagravel decking and it matching well.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 132
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 132
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 131
What is under the wood? Just dirt? I'm assuming there's nothing under there with the way you describe it. If it were me, I would remove the existing pea gravel area as well (doesn't appear to be much area in the pictures) and just redo the entire surface however you'd like.

I also don't think it would look bad to just pour concrete up to the edge of the pea gravel surface and stain it a light earth tone. You could slope it the meet the existing concrete but be sure the water will run off somewhere and not into whatever is on the other side of the concrete patch.

Another option could be to replace the wood decking with a composite deck material (like Trex). You could keep the framing under the deck boards and replace the boards with the new material. This would keep your deck height the same and give you a maintenance free deck. There is no need to stain or treat the composite material. I have a composite deck at home and love it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.