Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Decking Options

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Decking Options

Previous owner put in the pool and decking as well as the wood deck you are about to see in the images.

I'd like to hear opinions on what people think I should replace the wood deck portion with. We really do not like the wood deck because 1) it has 2 heighths as you can see some of it is flush with the peagravel pool deck and then there is an elevated area where our table is. 2) We are planning to put in an outdoor kitchen and don't want to have it over a wood deck 3) would like something that is a bit more consistent

Some of our options are: 1) rip it out (which is going to happen regardless) and put in a continued pea-gravel deck, my concern here is if it will match. Anyone ever had to add additional pea-gravel decking after the original? 2) rip out the deck put in concrete and go with a product called (carvestone) this is really expensive

Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Particularly if anyone has seen success adding more peagravel decking and it matching well.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Decking Options

Oh and our prefernece is that whatever we do put in also lines up flush with the existing concrete deck that is our covered patio. Right now the deck is about 1.5" higher.
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd go with either poured concrete decking or pavers. I think either would work well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

What is under the wood? Just dirt? I'm assuming there's nothing under there with the way you describe it. If it were me, I would remove the existing pea gravel area as well (doesn't appear to be much area in the pictures) and just redo the entire surface however you'd like.

I also don't think it would look bad to just pour concrete up to the edge of the pea gravel surface and stain it a light earth tone. You could slope it the meet the existing concrete but be sure the water will run off somewhere and not into whatever is on the other side of the concrete patch.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Just dirt under the wood. The plan regardless of what I do i to add drainage closer to the existing concrete.

6. Back To Top    #6

Another option could be to replace the wood decking with a composite deck material (like Trex). You could keep the framing under the deck boards and replace the boards with the new material. This would keep your deck height the same and give you a maintenance free deck. There is no need to stain or treat the composite material. I have a composite deck at home and love it.
    5500 gal. Plastimayd & Vynall AG (12' x 18' oval), Hayward Swimpro Voyager Cartridge filter & pump, Hayward H150 heater
    TF 100 Test Kit, converted to BBB in 2013