Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is the tail action on my Polaris correct? - Video

1. Back To Top    #1

Is the tail action on my Polaris correct? - Video

So after reading some other peoples issues with the squriting tail of the Polaris, and after adjust mine so that it now rarely squirts out of water, i'm wondering if mine is functioning like it should.

Is the tail supposed to lay more flat, mine seems to arch up after the float, vs. sweeping along the bottom of the pool. The tip of the tail contacts the pool bottom and sides, the worn sponge is evidence of that.

Click the picture below.

18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is the tail action on my Polaris correct? - Video

Wow! That tail is crazy! Mine lays flat on the floor and sweeps side to side. I guess if it keeps the pool clean, then yours is working ok the way it is. I bought one of the tail sweeps that keeps the tail from squirting, it was expensive ($30) but it works.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

3. Back To Top    #3

Well maybe I'll see if it will calm down if I turn the tail down further.... How far/strong is the water out of your tail, mine will still shoot 40' if you grab it and aim it...
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Not quite that strong. Maybe 25 feet. It got me in the face one too many times, so I swallowed my credulity and bought the pricey tail sweep.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

5. Back To Top    #5

I do not have a Polaris, so I am ignorant of how they work.

What is the tail supposed to do, and if is swishing around so much is such a known issue that there is some sort of $30 aftermarket part, why does Polaris not get it right the first time?
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03

What is the tail supposed to do, and if is swishing around so much is such a known issue that there is some sort of $30 aftermarket part, why does Polaris not get it right the first time?
    The part is used to "tame" the jet of water coming out of the end of the tail (people were complaining that it was shooting water onto their windows, hitting pets in the face, etc.); it has nothing to do with the movement of the tail.
    The latest model comes with this part.

The tail is supposed to be on the pool floor, moving in a side to side motion. It's also good at stirring stuff from the stairs, if it is unable to fully climb them.

To the OP, I would turn the power to the tail down a bit...yours looks like it has some sort of disability.
    Also, does it sit flush on the pool floor all the time? Looks like it may be rising in the video. Couldn't really tell though.
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

7. Back To Top    #7

[quote=Mr. Blue]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Winger 03":2g4kgeob

The part is used to "tame" the jet of water coming out of the end of the tail (people were complaining that it was shooting water onto their windows, hitting pets in the face, etc.); it has nothing to do with the movement of the tail.
    The latest model comes with this part.

The tail is supposed to be on the pool floor, moving in a side to side motion. It's also good at stirring stuff from the stairs, if it is unable to fully climb them.

To the OP, I would turn the power to the tail down a bit...yours looks like it has some sort of disability.
    Also, does it sit flush on the pool floor all the time? Looks like it may be rising in the video. Couldn't really tell though.[/quote:2g4kgeob]

Thanks!

It runs flat on the pool floor, i was fiddling with the jet on the rear yesterday, but put it back (1 o'clock) position when i was done.

I'll try turning it down some more.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I can't answer your question. But I'm curious what kind of camera you're using? I'm assuming you're using some sort of waterproof housing?
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

9. Back To Top    #9

Iphone 4G with a Lifeproof cover. With the cover it doesn't sense my swipes underwater, but it's only waterproof to a few feet so wouldn't be good for say scuba or anything. The cover does work, but they tell you not to take it off/put it on your phone more than like 50 times or it won't seal anymore. The bottom port does not allow some after market chargers to plug into the phone, apple chargers work fine. No idea about docking bases.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I think I may have just come up with a great way to make use of an old iPhone I have sitting around!
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

11. Back To Top    #11

Love the dig it's not THAT old LOL, my wife took a 3G in earlier this year and the apple dude was like OMG this is an antique!

So I lossened my tail and rotated it 90 degrees and now it sweeps proper, I think the rubber tail was conditioned/bent to rise up like shown in the vid....still squirting me however!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter