Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why can't you use inground SWG for AGP?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why can't you use inground SWG for AGP?

I have a 18x33 oval above ground pool. I'm trying to buy the best but cheapest SWG I can. I was looking at the Aquatrol but they are only rated for 18,000 gallons so I thought that wasn't enough. Can I use the Aqua Rite in my AGP? Hayward's website says these are for inground pools only, but does this really make a difference? Can you recommend which SWG for my pool size? Thank you.
    24' round above ground pool. 15,200 gallons. Hayward Pro Series sand filter and Hayward 1hp Powerflow Matrix pump. Upstate New York

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why can't you use inground SWG for AGP?

The inground/aboveground thing is just marketing. You certainly can use any swg on any pool whether it's in or above ground.

Have you looked at the Compupool units?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I did see the compupool unit. Do you like them better than the Aqua line?
    24' round above ground pool. 15,200 gallons. Hayward Pro Series sand filter and Hayward 1hp Powerflow Matrix pump. Upstate New York

4. Back To Top    #4

Just throwing it out there as another choice. They have gotten some pretty good reviews on here.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Compupool makes a basic unit, price is pretty reasonable. The largest model CPSC48 can be had for $750 delivered. Remember to get a unit that is 2-3 times the pool size. (Depending on your pump run time.) A SWCG must have the pump running to produce chlorine. You'll still need to occasionally use bleach, but the SWCG will do a great job of maintaining the level.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you. So for a pool this size how long should I leave the pump running? Is 8 hours a day enough or will I have to adjust to the chlorine levels? I may not be able to spring for a SWCG this year so I am going to try your TFT method with borates. If we are going to be gone for say 5 days, can I put some chlorine tablets in the skimmer to preserve the chlorine levels while we are gone or will this mess things up? We are going to take the cover off this weekend and open up the pool. After I add in the needed water, how long should I wait to test it? I just got my new TF100 kit so I have that. I can't add the borates until all chemicals look good, correct? I had installed an inline chlorine feeder last year; I'm assuming since I'm going to use the TFP method that I can take this out or just not use it?

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to run your pump long enough to keep the water clear. There's an article in Pool School to help figure that out, but basically just keep cutting down on the run time until it's not as clear as you'd like it.

Don't put tablets in the skimmer. They will create a very low pH and high chlorine condition when the pump is off and when it restarts that slug will travel through the pump, filter and everything else. Since you have a feeder you can use it to add chlorine if you're gone for a while.

Once you have the water level to where you can run the pump, let it run about 30 minutes and then run a full set of tests. Post the results here and we can advise further.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator