Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover/Chlorine Loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover/Chlorine Loss

Will a "run of the mill" blue solar blanket help prevent chlorine loss from sunlight if it's left on during the day?

Thanks!
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover/Chlorine Loss

Yes.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Yes.
    I was told just the opposite last summer by a pool-store employee
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

Broadalbin, NY (foothills of the Adirondack Mts.)

I've been wondering the same thing....anyone else want to weigh in on this? It seems to me that it would block UV, but I was told it wouldn't by a pool store employee, too.

Anyone have some real facts on this?
    18' round AG pool; 7600 gallons
    Pentair Sand Dollar filter (sand)
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, 80 GPM (?)
    All newly installed in 2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Broadalbin, NY (foothills of the Adirondack Mts.)

So...my question spurred me to do a google search (not sure why I didn't do this before) and came up with this:

The difference between a solar pool cover and a standard opaque swimming pool cover is that the solar cover still lets in a significant amount of light whereas a traditional flat, vinyl swimming pool cover can block much of the incoming sunlight significantly reducing or eliminating the effects of direct heating from the sun shining on the pool's surface. Traditional pool covers are usually made from vinyl, while solar covers are plastic or aluminized materials.

The air filled bubbles of a solar cover not only help to diffuse light from the sun spreading it over a wider area, they provide a bit of a buffer zone between the air and the pool water, giving added insulative properties for better heat retention than a traditional cover. These bubbles are pockets of air, and they look a lot like packing bubbles but
    the plastic is thicker and made with an UV inhibitor to prevent it from damage by the sun.

Seems to me, this would also mean the UV is blocked from the pool water, too, right?

Now, there was nothing on the website to identify just who authored it, so I'm not sure how legitimate the information is. As we all know, just because someone said it on the internet doesn't mean it's correct.
    18' round AG pool; 7600 gallons
    Pentair Sand Dollar filter (sand)
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, 80 GPM (?)
    All newly installed in 2011

6. Back To Top    #6

I lose 1.5 ppm MAX per day with my solar cover on, usually closer to 1.0
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry