Confirm my shock process

Apr 21, 2013
I had algae and high CYA and drained the pool about 80%. I have since refilled and begun the shock process on Sunday. FC went to 18 and came down to 10 in the morning. I added more bleach and the FC level went to 20.5 and went down to 15 in the morning. I added another gallon of bleach and will check later in the day. CC is about .5. Liquid turned a pinkish hew but not all the water pink.

We have a very large oak tree above the pool and it constantly drops things in it (leaves, pollen pods, bugs, etc.). Also, it had rained last night which I assume will skew the test results. Birds are also fairly regularly seen standing on the waterfall and unfortunately, pooping on the coping.

My question is whether I will ever be able to get a 1 ppm or less loss of FC overnight with the organic materials falling in the pool? The water is clear and I don't see any more algae anything. Should I continue the process and is there a time to finally say I'm done?

Thanks again.

davevt98 said:
I had algae and high CYA
Can you define "high CYA"? By draining 80% of the water & refilling, you have no doubt lowered your CYA to something more manageable. However, you need to know the current CYA level in order to determine the target FC shock level required to properly shock the pool.

Also, you can run the OCLT (link in my sig) to determine if the organic gremlins have been eradicated. If the water is currently clear, that is a good sign. The OCLT is another way to confirm.

BoDarville said:
davevt98 said:
I had algae and high CYA
Can you define "high CYA"? By draining 80% of the water & refilling, you have no doubt lowered your CYA to something more manageable. However, you need to know the current CYA level in order to determine the target FC shock level required to properly shock the pool.

Also, you can run the OCLT (link in my sig) to determine if the organic gremlins have been eradicated. If the water is currently clear, that is a good sign. The OCLT is another way to confirm.

Went from 150 to about 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.