Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confirm my shock process

1. Back To Top    #1

Confirm my shock process

I had algae and high CYA and drained the pool about 80%. I have since refilled and begun the shock process on Sunday. FC went to 18 and came down to 10 in the morning. I added more bleach and the FC level went to 20.5 and went down to 15 in the morning. I added another gallon of bleach and will check later in the day. CC is about .5. Liquid turned a pinkish hew but not all the water pink.

We have a very large oak tree above the pool and it constantly drops things in it (leaves, pollen pods, bugs, etc.). Also, it had rained last night which I assume will skew the test results. Birds are also fairly regularly seen standing on the waterfall and unfortunately, pooping on the coping.

My question is whether I will ever be able to get a 1 ppm or less loss of FC overnight with the organic materials falling in the pool? The water is clear and I don't see any more algae anything. Should I continue the process and is there a time to finally say I'm done?

Thanks again.
    15,000 gallon quartz finish, in-floor cleaning, Jandy CV580 cartridge filter, Jandy pump, Jandy heater, chlorine feeder and ozone

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confirm my shock process

Quote Originally Posted by davevt98
    I had algae and high CYA
    Can you define "high CYA"? By draining 80% of the water & refilling, you have no doubt lowered your CYA to something more manageable. However, you need to know the current CYA level in order to determine the target FC shock level required to properly shock the pool.

Also, you can run the OCLT (link in my sig) to determine if the organic gremlins have been eradicated. If the water is currently clear, that is a good sign. The OCLT is another way to confirm.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

A few hours of the organics falling from the tree should be in the allowed loss of 1ppm. If you lose more than 1ppm you are not done shocking and I would say that is regardless of the stuff dropping from the oak...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Quote Originally Posted by davevt98
    I had algae and high CYA
    Can you define "high CYA"? By draining 80% of the water & refilling, you have no doubt lowered your CYA to something more manageable. However, you need to know the current CYA level in order to determine the target FC shock level required to properly shock the pool.

Also, you can run the OCLT (link in my sig) to determine if the organic gremlins have been eradicated. If the water is currently clear, that is a good sign. The OCLT is another way to confirm.
    Went from 150 to about 50.
    15,000 gallon quartz finish, in-floor cleaning, Jandy CV580 cartridge filter, Jandy pump, Jandy heater, chlorine feeder and ozone

5. Back To Top    #5

need to be adding chlorine as often as possible every hour at first is best. The longer between additions the longer the process. The leaves etc shouldnt effect ONCLT that much
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator