Plaster or what for interior coating?

Apr 14, 2013
Just fair subject line, but questions about pool plaster and coatings.

Inground pool is about 7 years old. Plaster by two "drains" has lifted about 7"x8". It appears like the coating has raised, but not sure. Have not investigated. About a year ago some unknown "repairs" were done, but no idea what, etc. I read plaster's life is about 7-12 years.

How do we know when it's time to replace the coating?

Which coating is best for worry free? opps, except tile, not going to tile the entire surface area. I've read mixed reports on different materials.

Think the pool has only been treated for chlorine and algae in the past. Currently FC is 6, but PH is high at 8.0 and working to bring it down. Autofill does not work and need to run garden hose about an hour each week, so may be some water leaking.

Don't know what else to ask, any advice would be appreciated.

If properly installed and maintained plaster should last a little bit longer than that. Still, if it is failing, then it is failing and nothing to be done about that now.

Your main choice is regular plaster or plaster with something added to it (quartz, pebble, glass). The various additives are added for both appearance and improved lifetime, but they cost more than regular plaster. Which route to go is mostly a question of what your budget is and what look you like. Personally I would go for quartz, as it is the least expensive of the additives and gives you some nice colors. However be aware that the appearance with quartz is never completely uniform, which bothers some people.

Ok, help me understand the impact. So what? a little more water replacement and more chemicals for algae treatment and a little appearance degradation. Anything more serious, or can I safely just avoid for several more years?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.