Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster or what for interior coating?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster or what for interior coating?

Just fair subject line, but questions about pool plaster and coatings.

Inground pool is about 7 years old. Plaster by two "drains" has lifted about 7"x8". It appears like the coating has raised, but not sure. Have not investigated. About a year ago some unknown "repairs" were done, but no idea what, etc. I read plaster's life is about 7-12 years.

How do we know when it's time to replace the coating?

Which coating is best for worry free? opps, except tile, not going to tile the entire surface area. I've read mixed reports on different materials.

Think the pool has only been treated for chlorine and algae in the past. Currently FC is 6, but PH is high at 8.0 and working to bring it down. Autofill does not work and need to run garden hose about an hour each week, so may be some water leaking.

Don't know what else to ask, any advice would be appreciated.
    36K gal, gunite w/ plaster,[18W x 38L x 8 deep end] 300SF cartridge, 80-100 GPM filter, Sta-rite S7M120 and Polaris 9300 electric robot. Rooftop 6 panel Solar heater, Sacramento Valley, Climate Zone 8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster or what for interior coating?

If properly installed and maintained plaster should last a little bit longer than that. Still, if it is failing, then it is failing and nothing to be done about that now.

Your main choice is regular plaster or plaster with something added to it (quartz, pebble, glass). The various additives are added for both appearance and improved lifetime, but they cost more than regular plaster. Which route to go is mostly a question of what your budget is and what look you like. Personally I would go for quartz, as it is the least expensive of the additives and gives you some nice colors. However be aware that the appearance with quartz is never completely uniform, which bothers some people.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, help me understand the impact. So what? a little more water replacement and more chemicals for algae treatment and a little appearance degradation. Anything more serious, or can I safely just avoid for several more years?
    36K gal, gunite w/ plaster,[18W x 38L x 8 deep end] 300SF cartridge, 80-100 GPM filter, Sta-rite S7M120 and Polaris 9300 electric robot. Rooftop 6 panel Solar heater, Sacramento Valley, Climate Zone 8

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

can I safely just avoid for several more years
    Probably.

If your issue is limited to that one area around the main drain, it may have been a repair....time to investigate.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TY, yes it's just around 2 drains. For 5-17K it's hard to justify, especially seeing the horror stories about plaster jobs on the forums