Fiber optic to LED conversion

thepoolman

In The Industry
Jan 24, 2012
I have not heard very good things about the savi lights, so I steered clear of them. There are a couple newer units that have been released so I've been using the Fiberstars units. Established company with a good reputation.

Just finished a job using the Fiberstars PAL Treo lights for a customer who was unhappy with her fiber optic system. If you aren't familiar with these lights, they are a puck that's 3-4" in diameter with 1.5" male thread on the back. This makes them a perfect replacement for fiber optic systems. The fibers and lenses are removed and the light source is replaced with a transformer. The light cords are pulled back through the conduit and wired to the transformer. On this particular job, we gutted the light source and sat it back over the transformer that we mounted to a 4x4 to hide the electrical and fiber conduit that was sticking out of the ground.

Anyways, the customer was extremely happy. I think her hot tub can probably be seen from space. Zodiac is about to release their own version that will be very competitively priced with the Fiberstars units. I will probably start to use those, as I prefer the way that they mount into the wall. The zodiac units will also be compatible with older aqualink units that will controll the old watercolors lights.

For anyone who is thinking about replacing their fiber optic system, I would highly recommend either of these options. You will not be disappointed.

Glad to hear the fiber stars are working great, surprised to hear about Savi as I have 2 and absolutely love the brightness and colors. I must be one of the lucky ones as mine work flawlessly. (no affiliation to the company, just a very satisfied customer.

4knights said:
Glad to hear the fiber stars are working great, surprised to hear about Savi as I have 2 and absolutely love the brightness and colors. I must be one of the lucky ones as mine work flawlessly. (no affiliation to the company, just a very satisfied customer.

Hopefully that didn't come off as bad mouthing them. I certainly think they lit a fire under the larger companies to come up with a better product for use in nicheless lighting systems. What I have heard is that they build up too much heat by design. The Savi units are like a hot dog that slide back into the pipe, and I think the lack of water circulation is what causes the overheating issues with them. That same design does make a sleeker install, though. The fiberstars and soon to come zodiac units are like a pancake that sits against the wall. Not as sleek, but should eliminate overheating issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.