Bleach % Question

Mr. Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Spring, TX (Houston)
So I have been getting interested the the BBB method. I checked out the Pool Calculator and downloaded the iPhone app today.

I decided to run over to my grocery store to check prices on bleach, borax, etc. All of the bleach I found (went to multiple stores) was 8.25%. I notice on the Pool Calculator that you can enter any value into the % bleach field, yet in the iPhone app, there are only a few options to choose from...8% being the highest. Now I suspect it could just be an issue with the app, as the last time it was updated was 2011 :?, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting confused here.

Any thoughts?

Correct. The difference between 8% and 8.25% is significantly smaller than the error in test results, the error in measuring the amount of bleach added, and error in figuring out what % the bleach actually is compared to what it is labeled. Between the various sources of error, you will never notice a 0.25% either way.

I too have found 8.25% bleach in the store today. Walmart great value brand of all things. Anyone have any info on why the sudden increase in yield? It reeks of bad information to me, but I am skeptical of most good news.

Cheaper to ship to the stores because it ways less. In reality the new 8.25% also has slightly less total chlorine for the same price since the volume went down more than the % went up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.