Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ecostar Pump Failure

1. Back To Top    #1

Ecostar Pump Failure

I have a 2 year old echostar 3400vsp pump that was giving a "pump has stalled" error. I tried to rotate impeller by hand to see if it would turn freely and it didn't, felt like it was catching. I figured that it was the bearings that had gone bad and picked up replacement bearings to replace the existing ones. Once i opened the motor i realized that the bearings were fine and saw that one of the magnets on the shaft became unglued was broken in several pieces. Does anyone know if the magnets can be replaced or am I stuck with having to buy a new pump motor.
    17x30 free form gunite, 14,500 gal, 3.5' to 5.5', Hydrazzo, Hayward Ecostar pump, Hayward Heat Pump Pro, Aquarite 40 k gal SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 53sf DE filter, Polaris 280 w/Hayward 3/4HP Booster pump, TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Ecostar Pump Failure

Welcome to tfp, uofd90

I do not have an answer for you, but hopefully someone who does will soon chime in
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Ecostar Pump Failure

It is very unlikely that the motor can be repaired.

Any chance you are still covered under warranty? That sure sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School