First test with Taylor K-2006. Disappointed with my results

Robb0h

Apr 17, 2013
First time pool owner here.

I've been trying to read up the pool school links and bought a K-2006. Followed the directions, and a little disappointed I couldn't get two of the tests to register at all.... here are my results:

28,000 gal
In-Ground
Plaster Surface
Cartridge Filter
Jandy SWG that I believe is not currently working (sys error #172 & 180)

Chlorine Test - Couldn't get it to register (not true... but after adding three times the suggested amount of dippers worth of 870 and having no color change I thought I'd stop before wasting more).
pH Test - 8.0 - 2 drops acid demand test
Total Alkalinity - 120 ppm
Calcium Hardness - 260 ppm
CYA - didn't cloud up the water one bit so black dot never disappeared

I went to the local pool store that friends had suggested, just to see if their test would register anything on the stuff that I couldn't get a register on... here is the results of that test:

FC - .1
TC - .33
CC - .23
PH - 7.9
TA - 125
CA - 312
CYA - 8

They suggested Chlorine obviously, but I didn't buy any because they don't sell plain LC without additives. - looks like 3lbs? of their stuff was their recommendation. (pool calculator *if I did it right* suggests 226oz 6% bleach)

They also suggested acid which I have some muriatic acid here already. - 1/3gal (pool calculator suggests 55oz)

They suggested stabilizer. Their preferred brand is Pool Breeze Stabilizer and Conditioner. I bought it thinking I could come home and if recommended against this brand I could take it back unopened. - 3lbs was their suggestion (pc = 7lbs?)

Thank you for any help in advance, hope I included all the required info.

Rob

Re: First test with Taylor K-2006. Disappointed with my res

Welcome :wave:

The only thing you forgot to tell us was how the water looks. Is it clear? Cloudy? green? Green and gooey enough to walk on?

They seriously underestimated the amount of stabilizer you'll need. Probably on the assumption you'll be feeding the pool a diet of trichlor pucks. Check Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, any big box hardware store and see if you can't find a deal on the rest of the CYA.

I come up with considerably more acid needed. Did you enter the pool volume at the top? It defaults to 10000 I think. You'd better recheck that and doublecheck the bleach calculation. Also be aware that 6% bleach is getting rare - Chlorox is now 8.25%.

Thanks for the help Richard.

The pool is fairly clear... meaning I've seen it sparkle (before I found the site I had gone to the pool store once before and dumped in whatever they told me and the next day it sparkled) more than it is now, but it's not excessively green or slimy etc... maybe a slight slight blue-green tint but I can see the bottom of the 8ft end clearly. Brownish stains have shown up around returns etc. but brush off easily.

I re-tried the calculator, adjusted the bleach percentage, and double-checked my gallons. Here are the results:

Screenshot2013-05-14at74020PM_zps2063ea6a.png

Screenshot2013-05-14at74032PM_zps059d6f33.png

Thanks again for any direction.

Rob

Quick comment. The fas-dpd test when you add the powder and swirl with no pink means effectively zero FC. Sounds like you've got a plan so get some bleach in there.

With no chlorine you're asking for algae and it will be there quick.

With zero CYA any FC you have will be quickly consumed by the sun, as in all of your 4ppm in one day.

Not a bad idea to go through the shock process given no FC and presence of CC. If the water looks as you describe it won't take but a few days of keeping your FC up to shock level and following the process till it passes all 3 criteria.

Don't forget the brushing part of shock process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yuck! I hate it when people leave threads unresolved! Sorry about that.

Followed the shock recommendation and the pool cleared right up! We've been enjoying it and after testing FC levels daily I've gotten the feel for how much it needs per day and all has been well! I ordered some large sized FC and CYA bottles from tftestkits so I wouldn't feel like I needed to skimp.

Thanks to everyone who gave me info!

Now on to fixing the pool light, edge brick grout, and all the other projects the previous owner left me on this pool.

Thanks again!
Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.