Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test with Taylor K-2006. Disappointed with my results

1. Back To Top    #1

First test with Taylor K-2006. Disappointed with my results

First time pool owner here.

I've been trying to read up the pool school links and bought a K-2006. Followed the directions, and a little disappointed I couldn't get two of the tests to register at all.... here are my results:

28,000 gal
    In-Ground
    Plaster Surface
    Cartridge Filter
    Jandy SWG that I believe is not currently working (sys error #172 & 180)

Chlorine Test - Couldn't get it to register (not true... but after adding three times the suggested amount of dippers worth of 870 and having no color change I thought I'd stop before wasting more).
    pH Test - 8.0 - 2 drops acid demand test
    Total Alkalinity - 120 ppm
    Calcium Hardness - 260 ppm
    CYA - didn't cloud up the water one bit so black dot never disappeared

I went to the local pool store that friends had suggested, just to see if their test would register anything on the stuff that I couldn't get a register on... here is the results of that test:

FC - .1
    TC - .33
    CC - .23
    PH - 7.9
    TA - 125
    CA - 312
    CYA - 8

They suggested Chlorine obviously, but I didn't buy any because they don't sell plain LC without additives. - looks like 3lbs? of their stuff was their recommendation. (pool calculator *if I did it right* suggests 226oz 6% bleach)

They also suggested acid which I have some muriatic acid here already. - 1/3gal (pool calculator suggests 55oz)

They suggested stabilizer. Their preferred brand is Pool Breeze Stabilizer and Conditioner. I bought it thinking I could come home and if recommended against this brand I could take it back unopened. - 3lbs was their suggestion (pc = 7lbs?)

Thank you for any help in advance, hope I included all the required info.

Rob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test with Taylor K-2006. Disappointed with my res

Welcome

The only thing you forgot to tell us was how the water looks. Is it clear? Cloudy? green? Green and gooey enough to walk on?

They seriously underestimated the amount of stabilizer you'll need. Probably on the assumption you'll be feeding the pool a diet of trichlor pucks. Check Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, any big box hardware store and see if you can't find a deal on the rest of the CYA.

I come up with considerably more acid needed. Did you enter the pool volume at the top? It defaults to 10000 I think. You'd better recheck that and doublecheck the bleach calculation. Also be aware that 6% bleach is getting rare - Chlorox is now 8.25%.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help Richard.

The pool is fairly clear... meaning I've seen it sparkle (before I found the site I had gone to the pool store once before and dumped in whatever they told me and the next day it sparkled) more than it is now, but it's not excessively green or slimy etc... maybe a slight slight blue-green tint but I can see the bottom of the 8ft end clearly. Brownish stains have shown up around returns etc. but brush off easily.

I re-tried the calculator, adjusted the bleach percentage, and double-checked my gallons. Here are the results:

Thanks again for any direction.

Rob

4. Back To Top    #4

You understand!!

Be sure to raise target FC as the CYA dissolves. Don't bother testing it for at least a week, it doesn't always show right away.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quick comment. The fas-dpd test when you add the powder and swirl with no pink means effectively zero FC. Sounds like you've got a plan so get some bleach in there.

With no chlorine you're asking for algae and it will be there quick.

With zero CYA any FC you have will be quickly consumed by the sun, as in all of your 4ppm in one day.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Likewise, when the CYA test remains totally clear the CYA level is zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Robb0h
    CA - 312
    Is this their CH number?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb0h
    CA - 312
    Is this their CH number?

Thanks for the added comments above. CYA & bleach asap!

Yes FPM, the 312 was the number from the pool store test.

Thanks,
    Rob

9. Back To Top    #9

K when I looked at it at first I thought they were saying this was your CYA number...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Not a bad idea to go through the shock process given no FC and presence of CC. If the water looks as you describe it won't take but a few days of keeping your FC up to shock level and following the process till it passes all 3 criteria.

Don't forget the brushing part of shock process.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    K when I looked at it at first I thought they were saying this was your CYA number...
    Oops, no... left that out. CYA was 8. Will edit first post.

Thanks,
    Rob

12. Back To Top    #12

Yuck! I hate it when people leave threads unresolved! Sorry about that.

Followed the shock recommendation and the pool cleared right up! We've been enjoying it and after testing FC levels daily I've gotten the feel for how much it needs per day and all has been well! I ordered some large sized FC and CYA bottles from tftestkits so I wouldn't feel like I needed to skimp.

Thanks to everyone who gave me info!

Now on to fixing the pool light, edge brick grout, and all the other projects the previous owner left me on this pool.

Thanks again!
    Rob