Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Available Chlorine Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Available Chlorine Question

I just bought a case (4 gals) of Liquid Chlorine from Rural King for $10.00. The label reads as follows: Available Chlorine - 15%. Sodium Hypochlorite - 12.5%. Which description do I use when adding Chlorine to my pool? Is it 15% or the 12.5%. Second Question: The pool calculator lets me input the 15% reading up in the FC column, but it does not give me the 15% option down in the "Effects of adding chemicals"; thus, I am assuming that I should use the Available Chlorine option at the 12.5% instead of the 15% - is this a correct assumption?
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Available Chlorine Question

You have 12.5%
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Available Chlorine Question

Thanks for the quick response.....greatly appreciated
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).