I see an effect in the water

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
I have observed something that i want to run by the other borate users. My kids where swim goggles all the time, so i've taken to wearing a snorkel mask too so we can play underwater look at each other make funny faces etc. So what i've noticed is that when my goggles are right at the surface, and i'm looking out across the pool, i see an effect in the water. Muck like when you poor MA in the water, and you see it mixing/swirling....the water looks blurry, or much like the effect of heat rising on pavement.

Any ideas? I'm NOT CRAZY!

Strange. Makes me wonder if it isn't an effect you're getting on the lenses due to the reduction in surface tension in the water after adding borates.

Harleysilo,
If you're running your heat pump, it could be the warmest water at the surface of the pool, creating an effect just as you described, like heat rising off the pavement. Or it could be oils on the surface from sun block, tanning lotion, fabric softener on swimsuits, or simply skin oils.
Or your breath is steamy from drinking all that alcohol! :whip:
If any of the above apply, no, you're not crazy. Well, not on this topic, anyway! :wink:

I'm heating the pool and yes as I've written elsewhere the top few inches to a foot can get really hot, bout to get in the pool, pump has been running all day so it's as circulated as it gets (minus swimmers) ill check for effect again and take notice of any thermolayer of hot water, I'll see if I can video it as well. Pool computer says 93 degrees finally got warm 78 today and full sun all day...

To clarify my mask is 2-4" in the water,looking underwater but right Near surface. Effect goes away a few inches lower

So no thermolayer tonight, no sun, effect very slight, just top 1/2" of water vs 2-3" of water. It did dawn on me as I was squirting some anti-fog In my mask that could be it.... But I doubt it. Will set pump to turn off tomorrow and let thermolayer develop for tomorrow night! Spring looks like it is finally getting a foothold, where is my global warming?!?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Smykowski said:
I can't see it in the picture, but I know what you're talking about. I get the same effect after leaving the solar cover on during the crazy hot summer days. I'm pretty sure its the water interacting with each other from two drastically different temperature zones.

Edited my post to clarify that if you click the photo it starts playing the videos.

So this was moved from the Borates thread, making it a little less clear that i'm attributing (proposing/wondering) this effect to the addition of Borates. The other reason i'm thinking this is because to me it seems my vision is more blurry under water (eyes open) now then last year without Borates.

I don't recall seeing this last year, without Borates. I would have thought i would have noticed, but maybe i've been on high alert after Borates addition looking for changes in water quality etc.

I think i could easily experiment with a couple glasses of hot and cold water......and then if no effect add some borates and try again and get to the bottom of this.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.