Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing Safety Cover without the tool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing Safety Cover without the tool?

Just like the headline says....I inherited the pool but apparently not the tool for removing the safety cover. I can't find it anywhere. I will probably go buy a new one, but in the meantime does anyone have any experience taking a typical safety lock cover off a pool without the tool used to pop the loops off the grommet?
    18' x 41' IG w/vinyl liner. 30000 Gallons. 78" x 78" poolside spa
    1.5 hp Hayward pump - sand filter & Tiger Shark QC robot
    Compool CP3800 Control Panel
    TF-100 kit
    Built in 2002. "Inherited" w/House in 2012. Located in Pittsburgh

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing Safety Cover without the tool?

I saw a video on U Tube where the guy simply kicked them off with his heel. Not sure how damaging that is to the springs/loops.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw that video. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.
    Why can't I just screw the grommet out of the ground? Does that risk snapping the grommet?
    TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Just order the tool. I am sure you could possible get them off with a flathead screwdriver, but there is A LOT of tension and I can't think of any truly safe way to do it without the tool. The tool is not anything highly sophisticated, you could probably make one easily with some steel pipe and a hacksaw even you really need one quickly.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I did order one, but it's not arriving until next week. Didn't want to wait that long to get the cover off.
    TF-100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Before I realized I actually did inherit one, I used a steel crowbar as well as a strong and thick screwdriver.
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

7. Back To Top    #7

i have the tool to remove it and i find it easier to just use a screwdriver to ease it to one side of the anchor and the pop it off.
    i should use the tool though to avoid scratched our stamped concrete tho.,
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are handy, you can make your own until yours comes in. Use a 3/4 copper pipe, measure 1/4-1/2in from end. Draw circle line around the pipe(stop at 2/3rds of diameter and take your lines straight down to end) then cut along the line. And sand it smooth. See the end of the picture
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=loo ... tedIndex=5
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Kick the spring with the heel of your boot. It's worse on your boot heels than on the springs. Don't even try it w/ sneakers.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

For anyone still following along or who might be in a similar predicament in the future...

Method 1 - boot heel kicking: didn't much work for me. springs were too tight I think.
    Method 2 - screw driver: worked, but was painfully slow and I felt like I was about to damage the concrete. So I only took a few of the springs off and then stopped.
    Method 3 - build your own tool: didn't try this.

In the end, I waited for the tool to come in and just used that. Once the cover was off, I came face to face with my new swamp monster...but I think that is a story for another thread.
    TF-100 kit

11. Back To Top    #11

To add to this now that I think about it, to me, it is far easier to have two people on this task.
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

12. Back To Top    #12

So I know this is a bit of an old thread, but only one I could find related.

I have the tool, but when I use it, it seems to really want to SCRATH the stamped concrete...is there a trick or a way to do this.

Putting it on is fine, it is just the removal.

Thanks in advance!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Keep it centered and twist while it is centered. You go off the brass and all he** will break loose lol

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict View Post
    Keep it centered and twist while it is centered. You go off the brass and all he** will break loose lol
    I must have a bad tool, as this does not seem possible...but I will keep trying. Wife is ****** that I am scratching the crude out of the concrete.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Happy wife, happy life!

16. Back To Top    #16

Could you dip or paint that plasticizer stuff on the end diameter of the pipe? You can pick it up at the hardware store for a few bucks...if it works, you're a hero...and if it doesn't, you tell wife you tried...I think you'd still get brownie points for taking action
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains