Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool supply man

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool supply man

I wish I had found this first, but oh well. Our pool chemical man died last year, so we have a new supplier of pool chemicals in our area. Had the water tested today, purchased recommended chemicals and headed back to work. I still have questions, thought I could call them back later but the pool supply place has closed for the day. We started a few weeks ago with a green pool netted out the leaves, shocked it, brushed it. It's now more of a milky blue with a hint of green. We've been continually brushing, backwashing etc. These are the results from today's test.

FC .1
    TC .1
    pH 6.5
    Hardness 60
    Alkalinity 0
    CYA 20
    Copper .32
    Iron 0

I have stabalizer, floculant and super blue at the house. So I purchased the Alkalinity plus and Calcium Increaser and a bottle of Algecide and 3 in chlorine tabs. I have a 14,000 gallon vinyl lined above ground pool. He told me to balance the water it will clear up. That doesn't sound right, it seems I remember my old pool guy telling me to kill the algae and clear the water first, then get the chemicals right. Which way is right?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: New pool supply man

My first suggestion is to read the pool school link in the upper right of this page a couple of times.

After that if these test results are to be trusted you need to increase your pH

Then it would be best to follow the shock procedure in the pool school link, this will require that you have a good test kit though, see the link in my signature, as proper shocking procedure takes time and requires frequent testing and chlorine addition. The Pool store / service approach to dumping a lot of chlorine in all at once and hope for the best, if it does not work just repeat puts chlorine levels insanely high, so high that they can damage the liner of vinyl pools.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. One other question. We have a skimmer and floor drain, should they both be open at all times? There is a T valve under the skimmer and a flap that will close that drain. Not sure the function of that. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

How are you testing the PH and alkalinity? Those are my 1st concerns as if your TA is truly zero, the PH is likely around 4.5 and can damage your pool surface/equipment. If those are accurate readings, I would suggest raising PH to 7.2 using Borax as soon as possible. Then you can worry about clearing the water.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

It was tested on the computer at the pool supply store. Borax, like what you buy at walmart?? How much would I add?

6. Back To Top    #6
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rcg76
    Thanks for the info. One other question. We have a skimmer and floor drain, should they both be open at all times? There is a T valve under the skimmer and a flap that will close that drain. Not sure the function of that. Thanks.
    I just experimented with the balance. I closed down the skimmer and opened the main drain until the swirling in the skimmer started to look different, then backed off a hair. The main drain is mostly to prevent temperature stratification.

Now, to the important part: pH!!! I sure hope that was just a typo.

If you haven't got one yet, go order a proper test kitnow. You'll be working blind without it, at the mercy of the new pool supply man. You'd have better luck painting a masterpiece in a dark room.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!