Why are the numbers so different

Hi all, I am a new pool owner. Just finished the pool about two weeks ago. After filling the pool and adding the salt I waited a few days then took sample to the local pool store. They tested and printed me out a list of what to add and target numbers to shoot for. Why is there such a difference in their target numbers and TFP target numbers.

Pool store
FC 1-3.
PH 7.2-7.5.
TA 125-150.
CH 175-225.
CYA 30-200.

TFP
FC 3-5
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 50-300
CYA 70-80
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Dadof2

Something between misinformation and fraud.

Our numbers for things like pH take into account how your SWCG affects the water chemistry while theirs doesn't. Our chlorine recommendation takes into account the effect of CYA in the water while theirs doesn't. They flail around trying to compensate for the problems of high CYA because if they admit them the can't sell the pucks that everyone loves.

They'll try to sell you overpriced baking soda to increase your alkalinity and tell you to increase the calcium hardness to because they don't stop to understand that it doesn't matter for a vinyl pool.

There test results are almost guaranteed to be significantly wrong as well. Don't trust them until you see evidence that they know what they are doing.

Because they are there to sell you chemicals. TFP is here to prevent you from having to do that. :mrgreen:

Of course you still have to add the required chemical (i.e Chlorine, Muratic Acid, Baking Soda, etc) to maintain your pool but not to the level they prefer.

Your best bet is to throw away the pool store numbers and believe what you read here. I speak from experience.

by the way, Welcome to TFP.

Dadof2 said:
Thank you for your replies. I figured that's what it was just needed to hear it. Now that I have my alkalinity way too high whats the best approach to take to drop it from nearly 200 ppm down to 80 without messing everything else up?
Let me begin with the TFP mantra: Can you post a full set of your test results?

Frankly, if everything else is in range, don't worry. pH will climb soon enough and when it does, you'll add acid which will also knock down TA.

Thank you for all your help. I am new to this and appreciate TFP very much. These are today's test results with the Taylor k-2006.
FC 3
TA 200
CH 170
CYA 30
PH 8.0
Let me know if this sounds like a good plan of attack.
1. Lower PH with muriatic acid
2. Run deck jets to aerate
3. Add cya to bring that up.
4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until desired TA is reached.
Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.