Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help converting to Intex Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Help converting to Intex Salt

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I have almost the same pool, but 20' x 48" and would like to go from standard chlorine to an easier to maintain system. I have the filter skimmer in the pool wall as well. Do I need to go to a sand filter and salt water system? I need some recommendations to convert from chlorine to salt water, but don't know exactly what I need. Have been looking at the Intex 54601 or 54611 but not sure what to do! Help!
    Haslett, MI
    20'x48" above ground Summer Escapes with side wall skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help converting to Intex Salt

I've got an Intex UltraFrame 18' round pool with the 1500 GPH cartridge filter/pump that came with my pool. I added the Intex 54601 salt system when I did the initial setup and I've been running this setup for almost 2 years without any real problems. I am upgrading to a larger Intex sand based filter (2650 GPH), but you do not need to move to a sand filter before converting to salt water. I would suggest that you stay away from the 54611. I don't like combined systems. If one piece fails, the entire thing is shot. You'll have to replace the entire thing, not just a small piece. When I thought my salt system died, I was able to disconnect it and still use my filter while I debugged the system (turns out the titanium plates needed to be cleaned which was an easy process.).

You'll really love the salt system. Other than a good cleaning once/year, it's been maintenance free.

--Jonathan
    19,000 IGP TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help converting to Intex Salt

Thanks for the advice, Jonathan! I just ordered the 54601 and hope to have it up and running next weekend!
    Haslett, MI
    20'x48" above ground Summer Escapes with side wall skimmer