What difference does the size of the top rails make?

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
We bought a used AGP and the top rails seem to be really wide. Haven't put a tape measure on them, but they look huge.

What difference does it make what size they are? You see all the different pool companies advertising 6" or 7" or X" wide top rails. Does this just add to the strength or is it purely for looks?

The reason I am asking is that we have a 5 year old DD that is special needs and does not seem to be growing at a "normal" rate. She basically doesn't make it on the growth charts. She is about the size of most 3 year olds. I am planning on buying a nice, comfortable swim vest for her (looking for opinions if you know of one), but I also want her to be able to take a break and sit on something and not just float the entire time. The stairs that came with the pool are nice and she will be able to take a break on them, but she will be blocking the entrance/exit in the pool. I was hoping to find something we could put in the pool that she can rest on periodically. We can certainly do floats with a net in the bottom, but then she would be out of the water.

Anyway, I was watching some YouTube videos yesterday about ISR (Infant Swim Resource, I think) and it was showing how they can train 9 month old and up kids to float to save themselves if they fall in a pool. It was quite amazing if you haven't seen it. But in some of the videos there was a device that looked home made that was made out of PVC that went down in to the water and created kind of a grab bar. It was counter weighted with a garbage can it looked like. This was on on in ground pool and we will have an AGP without a deck around it.

Do you think there is any way we can make one of these PVC devices and attach it to the wall of an AGP? DD only weighs about 30 lbs, but we also have a nine year old that wouldn't be able to resist is and he weighs more like 60 lbs. I don't want anything to damage the pool, obviously, but I really like the idea of having this resting place.

What are your thoughts?

The official line from manufacturers is that they aren't meant to be weight bearing, that said my daughter would stand on them to jump in the pool (we have a deck flush with the top rail) when she was 4, 5 and 6...now that she's 7 I think I'll be putting an end to it, I think she's getting on the heavy side now (52 lbs), but in the previous years I didn't perceive any problems.

The best solution is a raised deck, even if a small one, my daughter also enjoys sitting or laying down by the edge of the pool or putting her feet in.

woodyp said:
Top rails on an AGP are desinged for the stabilty of the pool walls. They are not designed to sit or rest on. Nothing heavier than a drink sits on mine.

So, how do those solar cover holder things work that slide over the top of the pool wall and have a big hook that the solar cover rests in? I would think the solar cover could add some weight.

cramar said:
The best solution is a raised deck, even if a small one, my daughter also enjoys sitting or laying down by the edge of the pool or putting her feet in.

I guess I was more thinking along the lines of having an area she could rest, but still be in the water (I didn't explain myself well). You know for those days that it is a bit breezy and you are fine as long as you stay under the water, but you get cold when you go to get out. I'm sure she will wear out since she won't be able to put her feet on the ground.

I know this isn't what your looking for but it may help spark some ideas.
We have one of these the kids love it and it's cheap http://www.amazon.com/The-Amazing-Noodl ... odle+chair and another link http://www.amazon.com/Gladon-Noodlechai ... odle+chair I believe ours is made by Paricon..

These chairs are really durable.The chair is mesh and you add your own noodle.I used one of the jumbo noodles it was really tight getting the noodle positioned currectly,but you can use a regular noodle should be easier to get positioned.You could add a weight to the bottom to keep it in the center of the pool.Actually any kind of float would give her a place to rest

CB said:
I know this isn't what your looking for but it may help spark some ideas.
We have one of these the kids love it and it's cheap http://www.amazon.com/The-Amazing-Noodl ... odle+chair and another link http://www.amazon.com/Gladon-Noodlechai ... odle+chair I believe ours is made by Paricon..

These chairs are really durable.The chair is mesh and you add your own noodle.I used one of the jumbo noodles it was really tight getting the noodle positioned currectly,but you can use a regular noodle should be easier to get positioned.You could add a weight to the bottom to keep it in the center of the pool.Actually any kind of float would give her a place to rest

THANKS!!! I am looking for something a little more permanent. Something that is always in one place that she can just get over to and take a break. I have considered getting a second set of stairs just to have another place, but our budget is getting used up pretty quickly.

We have had some of these in the past and I agree they are sturdy and great. I am kind of sick and tired of the noodles though because they seem to start crumbling after a couple of years and then you have bits and pieces everywhere. Oh, plus DH and our son use them as water cannons and put them under the water then blow in one end while pointing it at some unsuspecting by stander, inside our outside the pool. :eek:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.