? Running Intex Sand filter and Saltwater/Filter Combo

May 13, 2013
Oklahoma
I have had the following Intex 1600gph filter on my 15 ft metal frame pool for a couple years and I have really enjoyed the upgrade of it versus the filter that came with the pool.
51R6yBvHAQL._SX385_.jpg

I have been wanting to convert to saltwater for quite some time. I had planned on buying just the saltwater generator, but when my friends Aunt passed away, they had this brand new in their garage and sold it to me for $100.
51SA2WyhM8L._SX450_.jpg

My question is, How do I run them together? I know I will run through the sand filter first, but with the saltwater generator also having a filter on it, how will they work together? Will it allow the water to pass through it if I'm running the sand filter without the saltwater filter running? I hope I am clear enough on my question. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would dosconnect the elbow and the copper bars that goes to the filter and run the hose from there to the pool and the swg will go after the sand filter. You'll have to electrically disconnect the pump but that shouldn't be too hard.

Was wondering about that, but I was unsure if I could do that since the timer equipment runs the swg and the filter both. I didn't want to burn anything up. I was hoping that if I just didn't put the filter canister in the swg, that the sand filter could possibly have enough flow to push through the unit and that the water would at least flow through it when the swg filter ran. I guess I will just have to play around with the setup to see what will work.
I am draining and cleaning the pool tonight. I am on a well so it normally takes me about a week to fill up as I don't want to stir up the well. We have been through that before and it's almost impossible to get our wonderful Oklahoma red dirt out once it's in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.