need new SWG for intex pool

Jul 29, 2012
So Cal
I have a intex ultra frame 18x48, ive been looking around for a new SWG, i currently have a intex SWG and a Hayward Easy-Clear filter.The flow is too much for the SWG i have and was looking to upgrade to something that can handle more flow... any suggestions ??

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I have never heard of the flow being TOO much for a SWG. What makes you think there is a problem? Can you be more specific about what pump and filter you have (they are seperate pieces of equipment).

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Our intex SWG died so we replaced it with the aquatrol rj model and I have to say that it is leaps and bounds better than the intex one. You won't be disappointed in it. The only thing I had to change out was the actual return on the wall of the pool. The intex one wouldn't fit the aquatrol so I replaced it with a Hayward return fitting that
mated right up with the SWG.

Might I suggest that you get the "real" Taylor salt test kit. Then you will absolutely know what your salt level is. Strips don't cut it either.

If all you are going by is the low salt level on the machine, you are doing yourself a great injustice. As I recall the proper level for our Intex stuff is 2800-3400 ppm. After I got the Taylor kit, I never ever had an issue with the low salt light again. I just kept adding a bit of salt here and there to keep it exactly in the middle.

Bob E.

Ours did the same. It would kick on and then after a few mins it would give the low salt warning. The salt was testing at 3600 which was well over the level for it to be saying low salt. Figured it was whacked out seeing it kept on saying low salt every time I tried to restart it. You definitely need a salt test kit tho.

As jbliz said, having too much flow is not a problem for the intex swg. I have a matrix 1 hp pump (I think it has the same flow as your pump) and my intex does fine with it.

How old is the intex?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
iconfisher said:
i keep getting a low salt reading, since i switched from the factory filter, to the new hayward pump/filter i upgraded too so figured the flow was too much for the intex SWG ..ive been looking at the Hayward AquaTrol SWG

My Intex SWG was also showing the low salt warning. I cleaned the electrolyte plate thingy using kitchen grade vinegar and have had no problems since.

choctawbadge said:
iconfisher said:
i keep getting a low salt reading, since i switched from the factory filter, to the new hayward pump/filter i upgraded too so figured the flow was too much for the intex SWG ..ive been looking at the Hayward AquaTrol SWG

My Intex SWG was also showing the low salt warning. I cleaned the electrolyte plate thingy using kitchen grade vinegar and have had no problems since.

I would do this first. Clean with vinegar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.