Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need new SWG for intex pool

1. Back To Top    #1

need new SWG for intex pool

I have a intex ultra frame 18x48, ive been looking around for a new SWG, i currently have a intex SWG and a Hayward Easy-Clear filter.The flow is too much for the SWG i have and was looking to upgrade to something that can handle more flow... any suggestions ??
    intex ultra frame 18'x48" ,Hayward C4001575XES Easy-Clear 1-Horsepower Pump, intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need new SWG for intex pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

I have never heard of the flow being TOO much for a SWG. What makes you think there is a problem? Can you be more specific about what pump and filter you have (they are seperate pieces of equipment).

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

i keep getting a low salt reading, since i switched from the factory filter, to the new hayward pump/filter i upgraded too so figured the flow was too much for the intex SWG ..ive been looking at the Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    intex ultra frame 18'x48" ,Hayward C4001575XES Easy-Clear 1-Horsepower Pump, intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

4. Back To Top    #4

Our intex SWG died so we replaced it with the aquatrol rj model and I have to say that it is leaps and bounds better than the intex one. You won't be disappointed in it. The only thing I had to change out was the actual return on the wall of the pool. The intex one wouldn't fit the aquatrol so I replaced it with a Hayward return fitting that
    mated right up with the SWG.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

5. Back To Top    #5

awsome, glad its working for you, i think thats what im going to get i like how it controls the pump also with the timer built in

6. Back To Top    #6

Might I suggest that you get the "real" Taylor salt test kit. Then you will absolutely know what your salt level is. Strips don't cut it either.

If all you are going by is the low salt level on the machine, you are doing yourself a great injustice. As I recall the proper level for our Intex stuff is 2800-3400 ppm. After I got the Taylor kit, I never ever had an issue with the low salt light again. I just kept adding a bit of salt here and there to keep it exactly in the middle.

Bob E.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ours did the same. It would kick on and then after a few mins it would give the low salt warning. The salt was testing at 3600 which was well over the level for it to be saying low salt. Figured it was whacked out seeing it kept on saying low salt every time I tried to restart it. You definitely need a salt test kit tho.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

8. Back To Top    #8

As jbliz said, having too much flow is not a problem for the intex swg. I have a matrix 1 hp pump (I think it has the same flow as your pump) and my intex does fine with it.

How old is the intex?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

the intex SWG was only 3-4 months old

10. Back To Top    #10

It's time to find your receipt for that SWG and exchange it. Bring it back to your retailer if they will take it, or call Intex. I hear they are quite good at replacing faulty units.

Bob E.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by iconfisher
    i keep getting a low salt reading, since i switched from the factory filter, to the new hayward pump/filter i upgraded too so figured the flow was too much for the intex SWG ..ive been looking at the Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    My Intex SWG was also showing the low salt warning. I cleaned the electrolyte plate thingy using kitchen grade vinegar and have had no problems since.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by choctawbadge
    Quote Originally Posted by iconfisher
    My Intex SWG was also showing the low salt warning. I cleaned the electrolyte plate thingy using kitchen grade vinegar and have had no problems since.
    I would do this first. Clean with vinegar.
    Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 48"
    14" Intex sand filter w/pump
    Intex SWG