Conversion Problem

May 14, 2013
Hi,
I'm new to this site and was converting my pool from Baquacil to the chlorine (bleach). but I've run into a problem, for some reason when I try to vacuum the pool all of the Baq goo at the bottom gets sent back into the pool from the filter. I’ll give you all the details I can now to help you guys out.

Pool was brand new last year filled 2/3 with city water 1/3 well water with high rust content.
We used Baquacil for the first year and closed the pool with Baquacil in the fall.
Pool was great last year and I kept everything in spec. I wanted to switch to chlorine due to the cost of the Baq.
When I opened the pool about a week ago the water was crystal clear all the algae and goo was pushed out of the water to the bottom it had a nice layer on it.
I filled the pool up from the closing level with well water.
Used the conversion tool to figure out the amount of beach to add and let the “magic” happen.
There was for sure Baq still in the water it changed to a mutant orange color and had sludge floating on top.
I had to backwash about every 30 minutes for the first couple of hours.
I started this on the weekend so I kept checking hourly and adding beach to keep FC at 15
So far I’ve used 25 128OZ of wal-mart beach at 7.86 CI vol.
The colors have gone to a greenish blue and this morning after 3 days I could see the bottom.
I attempted to vacuum but like I said all of the crud at the bottom was shooting out the filter I tried to backwash it and go again but nothing.
The stuff at the bottom was thick it made the water in the pump housing look like orange juice, is it just too much at one time for the filter. Or is possible my filter sand has had it.
This morning’s specs.
FC 13 PH7.1 TA 100 CYA 60
Filter info
Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5 HP Filter Hayward Pro Series S180T93S
Thank for any help you guys can give me.

First thing thing to check - although unlikely - is that the multiport is set to something other than filter. That costs nothing and takes but a second. Then go on to the next step. The stuff is going through your sand filter. It could be that it's channeled. The cure for that is to open it up and probe around gently with a broomstick or something and break up any clods. If that doesn't help, then try adding a little DE to the filter. Be aware, it will likely load up really fast, so don't set it to filter and go to work. You'll need to be able to watch the filter pressure and the return flow and be ready to backwash a lot.

Well there must not have been any channels in the sand I opened it and gave it a good stir the sand looks good to me there wasn’t any clumps I just put the sand in before I opened the pool this year so it was brand new. I’m going to try the DE I think the stuff is just so fine the sand filter can’t grab it. It’s like a orangish silt I’m guessing the remainder of the baq goo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.