Expensive mistake with my aqua cal heatpump

Jun 18, 2010
I winterized my pool for the first time this past winter, and I failed to notice a drain plug on the heat pump. I have two unions at ground-level feed and return to the heater I opened both of them and plenty of water drained out I assumed that was the lowest point of the heatpump. However, there is a very clearly labeled petcock for winterizing purposes that I did not see last fall. The pipes after the unions that I opened went up, back, and then down into the heat exchanger so that in reality the heat exchanger was full of water all winter. Thus the little petcock...

Aqua Cal rep needs to evac refrigerant, swap exchanger, and recharge system. Lord knows what that will cost but I am already practicing a very submissive pose. I didn't save any money closing my pool by myself this year. But I don't make the same mistakes twice either.
Live and learn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.