Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expensive mistake with my aqua cal heatpump

1. Back To Top    #1

Expensive mistake with my aqua cal heatpump

I winterized my pool for the first time this past winter, and I failed to notice a drain plug on the heat pump. I have two unions at ground-level feed and return to the heater I opened both of them and plenty of water drained out I assumed that was the lowest point of the heatpump. However, there is a very clearly labeled petcock for winterizing purposes that I did not see last fall. The pipes after the unions that I opened went up, back, and then down into the heat exchanger so that in reality the heat exchanger was full of water all winter. Thus the little petcock...

Aqua Cal rep needs to evac refrigerant, swap exchanger, and recharge system. Lord knows what that will cost but I am already practicing a very submissive pose. I didn't save any money closing my pool by myself this year. But I don't make the same mistakes twice either.
    Live and learn.
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expensive mistake with my aqua cal heatpump

Bummer about that, but lesson learned, move on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Expensive mistake with my aqua cal heatpump

$1,450

The ROI timeline I hoped to reap by going with the heat pump versus propane just went further out.
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster