Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    The past couple days I've been going crazy with these pool cleaners. Its a terrible mess how Maytronic's Dolphin brand rebrands/repackages every dang model they have to cause such confusion. I really dislike that.

    Yesterday I went on Doheny's website and bought the Dolphin Advantage plus for $900. Basically because I could do a 4 payment plan similar to HSN. After buying
    I looked the the brochure online and noticed its 2002 Dolphin Diagnostic that has basically received a face lift. This is the recycling of old brands game that Maytronics play.
    I decided that wasn't good enough.

    Deliver is supposed to come Wed as I called to cancel yesterday a couple hours after I placed order they tell me its on its way. She said to refuse the order.

    After again, another day of diligently researching pool cleaners I've seen for my price range....right around $1,000 or less these seem like the best:

    Dolphin Evolution X5 (no reviews performance unknown)
    Dolphin Premier (same as Evolution)
    Dolphin Supreme M4 (good performance, this looks like it could be the Premier??)
    Dolphin DX5 plus (seems good performance also)

    Aquabot AWD (no reviews, not sure of these race car designs and durability)
    Aquabot Breeze XLS
    or
    Ecojet Plus

    I really like the 3 year warranty on the Dolphin products. Should I keep the Dolphin Advantage Plus??

    Does anybody have some helpful information? I would appreciate any/all comments.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Swampwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    3,531

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    I have the m4 supreme and like it for my set up. But you cannot receive the warranty purchasing this one online...it is sold only by pool stores that can service it. If you have any specific questions about it, please ask away. It climbs the walls fine, does a good job overall. Advantages include easy-to-clean top-loaded cartridges! etc. But I just bought it so can't speak to longevity. Is right in your price range, a little under with rebates possibly.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman
    I have the m4 supreme and like it for my set up. But you cannot receive the warranty purchasing this one online...it is sold only by pool stores that can service it. If you have any specific questions about it, please ask away. It climbs the walls fine, does a good job overall. Advantages include easy-to-clean top-loaded cartridges! etc. But I just bought it so can't speak to longevity. Is right in your price range, a little under with rebates possibly.
    I saw M4 at westwoodpools for $1100. They do have 3 year warranty. My pool is figure shape. No 90 degree angles so to speak, it curves up on bottom before going
    straight up so that should be advantage for the pool cleaners.

    My questions would be how much research did you do into this product vs. other models?
    Do you prefer the cartridge over the bag?
    It appears the Premier is basically the M4? Have any knowledge on this or opinions?

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Guest

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    When you open the box for the M4 (and I believe the M5 is the same way) it clearly says "WARRANTY VOIDED IF BOUGHT ONLINE". So watch out. The Supremes, like many of the Dolphin lines were made to be bought instore only. As for the Evolution X5, I went ahead and ordered mine (warranty is fine if bought online) earlier this week. From what I can tell it's exactly like the Wave 100 but with a longer cord and a lot less expensive. I read a few reviews on the Wave 100 and it seems to be a great unit.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Quote Originally Posted by doteman
    When you open the box for the M4 (and I believe the M5 is the same way) it clearly says "WARRANTY VOIDED IF BOUGHT ONLINE". So watch out. The Supremes, like many of the Dolphin lines were made to be bought instore only. As for the Evolution X5, I went ahead and ordered mine (warranty is fine if bought online) earlier this week. From what I can tell it's exactly like the Wave 100 but with a longer cord and a lot less expensive. I read a few reviews on the Wave 100 and it seems to be a great unit.
    That is great information. Thank you. Taking the Supremes out of consideration due to warranty issue.
    Also, I'm thinking I want a bag system not cartridge.

    Doteman, how much research did you do before buying the X5? I called epic pool talked with them about X5. They said it was similar electronics and drivetrain to Supremes.

    I am leaning on the X5 now.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Swampwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    3,531

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    My questions would be how much research did you do into this product vs. other models?
    Do you prefer the cartridge over the bag?
    It appears the Premier is basically the M4? Have any knowledge on this or opinions?
    I've been hemming and hawing for a little over a year, which is not to say my purchase decision was necessarily informed by quantifiable data per se. It turned out to be a matter of good value, got to test one IN THE POOL and liked the job it did, and I trust the indie pool store for repairs - they're good peeps. So while I could have easily rationalized an Aquabot instead, I was reasonably comfortable that for us, the M4 was the right solution of different levels for us.

    The Premier is a private label brand. It is, however, slightly different than M4. The M4 has a third brush in the center. It also is top-loading (though could never tell from brochure on premier if it's top loading or not...since it doesn't mention it, I'm guessing not.) The capacity, filtration etc. seems similar if not identical. Both have the weekly programming capability -- eg. leave in water and program for it to clean every second day- so the loading seems to be the major difference. Both are direct drive, which is an advantage from a repair standpoint, though I can't speak (yet) to what something like an acorn might do to they system as a result...

    I would be careful about the assumptions you make about the warranty info though -- there's a rationale and a benefit, to my mind, of the warranty stipulation on the Supreme line...so you'll want to check with people who have premiers to see if sending back to Maytronics is the long hassle that I've heard it is.

    The M4/M5 (and M3s) were designed with "quick fixable" component parts to be fixed AT the dealer instead of sent back to Maytronics -- that is why they are not warrantied when purchased online. In our case, it was actually also CHEAPER to purchase from the local dealer than any price we found online for an equivalent. I did read a review elsewhere that said this new approach to local fixing puts the supreme line out front in terms of value/hassle-free etc.

    In terms of research, I was very close last year to going with a Polaris sport as the bag seemed easy to handle, but after a season, my local indie dealer found that the company has issues around repairs taking too long. I'd seriously considered Aquabot Turbo as well, and Blue Diamond. In the end, the Supreme cost us less -- in some cases about half as much -- as some of the others we were looking at (eg the sport was then retailing for closer to $1400, for example, and BD higher), and since they typically no longer need to go back to Maytronics for repairs, we're hopeful it was a decent choice...but won't know this soon

    I have "opened" several bots to see how I feel about the cartridge/bag phenom, because in MY pool, I get a lot of worms, caterpillars, copious volumes of petals, maple junk, etc. etc. etc. That's really where the M4 had me - nice, quick, easy-to-clean...better, IMHO than a bag, as the sides pop off for a quick rinse and then wham, right back in the top opening -- no turning over the idiot machine etc. I like the "spring" screen vs. "super fine" filtration options.
    (The polaris has a nice quick bag removal system too, btw, also top loading.)

    Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Guest

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Hey mpk1970, I did my research via sites selling the Wave 100 then talked a few times to Epic Pool Supply. I also saw a few pool cleaner rating sites that rated it great for this summer. Either way I'm happy with it. I got some disposable bags with it as well. Can't believe I never used them before, they're great.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Quote Originally Posted by doteman
    Hey mpk1970, I did my research via sites selling the Wave 100 then talked a few times to Epic Pool Supply. I also saw a few pool cleaner rating sites that rated it great for this summer. Either way I'm happy with it. I got some disposable bags with it as well. Can't believe I never used them before, they're great.
    I've pretty much narrowed it down between the X5 and Aquabot Rapids AWD & XLS.
    I'm also contemplating waiting til after summer as I wonder if deals will start kicking in come September?

    Doteman, what other models were you considering?
    Does the X5 climb walls pretty good? I've got slope at bottom to make it easier for any unit to climb so its not a 90 degree angle, probably 75 degree

    The guys at Epic said its a $1200-$1,300 unit in their opinion just trying to see how it sells. They were getting 40-50 more today. They've been selling good I guess.

    If I get X5 I also will get the disposables. I live in South Florida so I will be using this unit year round so whatever I buy I need it to be dependable.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Swampwoman you got a great deal on that M4 I'm jealous

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Quote Originally Posted by doteman
    Hey mpk1970, I did my research via sites selling the Wave 100 then talked a few times to Epic Pool Supply. I also saw a few pool cleaner rating sites that rated it great for this summer. Either way I'm happy with it. I got some disposable bags with it as well. Can't believe I never used them before, they're great.
    How has your performance been? You satisfied? What about the walls and steps??
    I'm returning the Advantage Plus.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    I went with the Aquabot AWD from Doheny's. They provide awesome customer service. Will be getting this on Saturday.

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    I just purchased an x5 after having a dolphin diagnostic 2002 for 10 years, I actually think i should have just purchased another 2002, the x5 seems like the same unit, everything works the same except it has the split rollers, and now has climbing rings that the 2002 never needed.

    THe x5 climbs fine, but if the pool is very dirty like when i opened it, i could see the ring marks on the bottom after the unit went, never happened on the 2002.
    It is faster, good or bad i dont know, i do know after cleaning the bag, same process so im ok with it. about 5 times the pool looks great.

    I just now was out playing with the remote, it is a pita, but i can see using it for quick cleaning. not like a joystick, you have to either go forward, or turn, so you have to stop, in between. it is lighter than the 2002, not a good thing, as i can see it changes course when just pulling the cord from the deck. it also seems to bounce more where the 2002 would sink, and always make contact with the bottom. it has not gotten stuck on my bottom drain, something the 2002 would do constantly, and it seems to backup quickly when hitting my ladder. does not do the steps, I did not expect it to.

    I have looked at dolphin, and they seem to be the same, the m4,m5 are different, but more costly, and no place local had one. I am still testing it, but it does the job, if not for being satisfied with the 2002 i would be happy, as it is it cost more, but if it lasts as long, then im ok with 100 per year to have a pool cleaner, knowing i only get 3-4 months of use in the northeast.

    It has a bag full indicator, and the remote can switch between full clean, climb walls, and just the bottom.

    So the x5 can turn like the m5, but has a bag like the older dolphin cleaners, remote works well enough to be useful occasionally, i'll keep it, as it seems fine, and im not too particular as long as it does its job.

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Quote Originally Posted by goddahavit
    I just purchased an x5 after having a dolphin diagnostic 2002 for 10 years, I actually think i should have just purchased another 2002, the x5 seems like the same unit, everything works the same except it has the split rollers, and now has climbing rings that the 2002 never needed.

    THe x5 climbs fine, but if the pool is very dirty like when i opened it, i could see the ring marks on the bottom after the unit went, never happened on the 2002.
    It is faster, good or bad i dont know, i do know after cleaning the bag, same process so im ok with it. about 5 times the pool looks great.

    I just now was out playing with the remote, it is a pita, but i can see using it for quick cleaning. not like a joystick, you have to either go forward, or turn, so you have to stop, in between. it is lighter than the 2002, not a good thing, as i can see it changes course when just pulling the cord from the deck. it also seems to bounce more where the 2002 would sink, and always make contact with the bottom. it has not gotten stuck on my bottom drain, something the 2002 would do constantly, and it seems to backup quickly when hitting my ladder. does not do the steps, I did not expect it to.

    I have looked at dolphin, and they seem to be the same, the m4,m5 are different, but more costly, and no place local had one. I am still testing it, but it does the job, if not for being satisfied with the 2002 i would be happy, as it is it cost more, but if it lasts as long, then im ok with 100 per year to have a pool cleaner, knowing i only get 3-4 months of use in the northeast.

    It has a bag full indicator, and the remote can switch between full clean, climb walls, and just the bottom.

    So the x5 can turn like the m5, but has a bag like the older dolphin cleaners, remote works well enough to be useful occasionally, i'll keep it, as it seems fine, and im not too particular as long as it does its job.
    Great info for all of us. Keep us posted.
    I was torn between aquabot AWD and the x5. Went with AWD as I got it for about 650.00
    Didn't know the diagnostic was that good...sounds like you were spoiled.

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Hollister, California
    Posts
    8

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    Quote Originally Posted by mpk1970

    Great info for all of us. Keep us posted.
    I was torn between aquabot AWD and the x5. Went with AWD as I got it for about 650.00
    Didn't know the diagnostic was that good...sounds like you were spoiled.
    Where did you locate a Aquabot 4WD for 650.00?
    The best I've seen is 799.00

    I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Aquabot XLS, but if I can find a legitimate place for a 4WD at that price, I'm sold.

    Tim
    _________________
    IG Vinyl Liner 26,000 Gal / L-Shape
    Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge 400sf
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 (3HP Variable)
    Hayward Navigator (need to replace)
    Autopilot Digital Salt System/CompuPool Cell

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    austin/texas
    Posts
    140

    Re: Dolphin Evolution X5 , Premier, DX5 plus or Aquabot

    You can find it for $599 here: http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/cle ... ol-cleaner
    you can also use coupon code " LPOOLB " to receive $10 off, that will cover your shipping charge. Valid until 6/10. I am about to pick one up also.
    34x15, 17K Fiberglass In-Ground Leisure Morroccan SWG, 1 1/2HP 2 speed SuperfFlo pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, Installed August 2013, Fiberstar 3-color LEDs, AquaBot AWD robot cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch 8 Wireless remote.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •