Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About fed up with intex deluxe surface skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

About fed up with intex deluxe surface skimmer

-Do not get me wrong it works well, but it is a constant hassle to fool with. It seems like it always wants to float up and not stay locked on to the railing. Earlier today it floated up and no water was able to get to the pump....luckily i was outside at the time.

-I have been eying and researching this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Standard-Thru ... r/14003685.

Questions
    -does anyone maybe know how to make the surface skimmer more secure?
    - If i were to get the through wall skimmer would i have to hard plumb my pool?
    24x54 Saltwater 8000 (thepoolfactory), Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1.5Hp 1-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, AquaBot Pura 4X

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About fed up with intex deluxe surface skimmer

I'd be interested in knowing how to put an in-wall skimmer on my Intex pool also. Or possibly how the adapt the Poolskim skimmer to fit.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the ultra frame also. I have the skmmer from my old blue intex and it holds in great.
    Is there any way you could post a pic of your issue.
    Also it is possible to put a thru wall skimmer and not hard plumb. I will post a link if I find more info on it.
    But Ive googled it and found a few intex thru wall skimmers that where not hard plumbed.
    Im going to be doing it next week so I plan on taking a ton of pics and trying to make an updated instructional as all the 1s I find dont have pics anymore.

Edit: My first tutorial will be trying to use all the original equip. then after Im going to hard plump and show that also. I know there are many that just want the thru wall skimmer and are not concerned about hard plumbing.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Check out my post of May 10th:
    widemouth-skimmer-mounted-to-intex-above-welded-seam-t59150.html

Installed widemouth skimmer and have yet to hard plumb. I knew that there was a lot of interest in this subject and many of the pictures in the older links are not working, that why I posted my experience.

Good luck.
    Saltwater 8000 27' Round x 54". 17000 gallons
    Intex SWG
    Hayward Power Flo 3/4HP pump-Hayward Perflex EC40 DE Filter-Hayward
    H250 Natural gas Heater-My own gas well in back yard ;-)

5. Back To Top    #5

poolnew-b -
    Thank you for the response. I will be excited to see how you do it. Attaching the skimmer seems pretty straightforward. The problem is what would i do with the old intake hole? Do i just leave the valve on there and turn it off? Also would i be able to use the intex hose to hook up to the new skimmer?

gasczar - Thank you for the link. It is very informative

-Which skimmer is everyone using? Heritage Standard Thru-the-Wall Skimmer?
    24x54 Saltwater 8000 (thepoolfactory), Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1.5Hp 1-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, AquaBot Pura 4X

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok so I just took the plunge and ordered the skimmer from walmart. Could someone tell me where the best place would be to install it. I was thinking to the left of the original intake, but then I thought maybe that would be too close to the return?? Any advice?

7. Back To Top    #7

I had the same problem with mine, although I have the inflatable ring pool. Last year I found some pics on here where somebody had made a simple and cheap pvc stand that goes outside the pool with an arm that the skimmer can be mounted to with hose clamps. Anyway I made one up, and no problems with the skimmer since, love it.

Hopefully you can find the pics, will be putting my pool up soon and could get pics of mine sometime after that.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

Well just don't leave it over winter! Mine dry rotted ! The hose is cracked now the plastic piece also.

9. Back To Top    #9

I had the same issues because the flex hose of the skimmer kept pushing it up so I hard plumbed it and it's been great. What I did was slip a 1 1/4" PVC tee on the skimmer adapter (takes a bit of force, but fits perfectly) and put a valve on each end, one goes to an elbow leading down to near the bottom and the other goes to the skimmer so I can have either or both without having to cut holes in the liner. It's not as pretty as getting an in-wall and cutting but sure is just as functional
    10,000 IG Plaster w/Spa | Hayward Colorlogic LED lights| Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter | Hayward H400FDN 400k BTU Heater | Hayward SP3220EE TriStar 2 HP single speed pump | In-floor cleaning system | TF-100 | Build finished Jan 2016

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is my solution along with 3m scotch super strong mounting tape1.jpg2.jpg
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey new to this thread. I have a Coleman 9'x18'x48" rectangular above ground pool with a .95 hp sand filter pump. The index deluxe wall skimmer works great but keeps floating up any ideas on how to fix this issue without having to cut. I can add pics if needed.

12. Back To Top    #12

I hard piped mine with PVC and it has worked really well. No problems since.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

13. Back To Top    #13

The elbow (1-14" I think) is press-fit into the original screw on wall fitting and I believe a union is press fit on the bottom of the strainer housing. I have a screwed union that allows me to assemble it on the pool. There is no other connection to the pool other than the standard basket clamp that clamps to the pool frame. It's extremely rigid. I had the same problem as you with the basket being flipped up by kiddos.

Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the same problem, bracket keeps popping off despite screws tightened all the way. Dug up the bracket from my old blue Intex and that one works fine. It is shaped slightly different with more of a heel wrapping around the frame. Will use that bracket with the new skimmer. Hardpiping looks like a good idea, might try that. Not yet sure about through the wall skimmer, mainly due to loss of water depth.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump