Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Hi-Flo Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Hi-Flo Valve

I just purchased a hi-flo multiport valve 261050 for my Quad DE. The handle is floppy, is it supposed to be? You have to hold the handle up for the end to be flush with the top of the valve, then when you let go it just drops back. My previous Hayward sand multiport valve handle stayed upright even when not installed. This feels wrong, but I've never had Pentair, so what say those of you with this valve. Is it loose when it's not installed/ under pressure?

20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Hi-Flo Valve

There should be an internal spring holding it in place, so that it is fairly easy to push down, but pops back up if you let go of it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, it doesn't stay up at all unless I hold it. It sounds like it should operate the way my old Hayward did. Is this something easy to fix via unscrewing the valve top, or do you think I have a defective unit?
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hey Terry, this might be a simple fix. For some reason the spring is missing or not sitting correctly within the valve itself. This spring is what creates the tension on the handle. These valves are easily disassembled; you can open it up and take a look inside to determine if you can just adjust the spring or whether it's missing completely. Here is a link to a manual with an exploded diagram:

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Hi-FlowValveIG.pdf

If the spring is missing completely, or you cannot get it to sit/work correctly, just let me know and I will gladly assist in getting you a replacement ASAP!