Apr 23, 2013
28.000 Gallon Gunite Pool
Sand Filter

CYA 80
CH 160 (Will Add 36 Lbs Calcium)
Alkalinity 130
PH 7.6
FC 1.5
TC 1.5 (Need to Add 2 Gallons 10% Chlorine Bleach)
*Total Bromine 2- 2.5
* Don't have a clue about the Bromine Test, Please Educate Me.

Feel Free to Comment!

Thanks!

Things would be a lot easier if you would have kept all your posts together. At this point I have no idea what your "story" is ...what were you trying to accomplish.

Also, what kit did you order? The K-2005 is not one of the recommended kits since it is missing the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which happens to be the most important test.

You have a chlorine pool ... so the bromine reading is irrelavent.

Also your CYA is still on the high side and another 40-50% water replacement would be good.

Jason, I have no idea how to keep all my Posts together. I have posts all over the place for different types of issues. I put my posts where they seem to fit best.
If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.
My story is simple. Had a pool guy who got my CYA up to 133. Used Tabs & Packet Shock.
I've been changing out water slowly. Now down to 80.
Will get there soon. I have been using the Pool Calculator & it says CH is Low. Getting some Calcium Chloride tomorrow.
Unfortunately I just got the Kit & it will have to do for now. My Water looks great. Not Cloudy.
I just have an issue keeping enough Chlorine in due to my high CYA.
When I get my CYA down by draining, this will no longer be the case.
But this is my 1st time taking care of my own pool & it looks better already.
My numbers are not perfect, but I plan to get there.

You can keep your posts together by just posting in the same one again with new questions. Unless they are completely unrelated, usually best to keep everythign together.

So I need to Increase my Calcium Hardness. The Pool Calculator says I need 36 Pounds. How do I add this?
All at once? A little at a time? Do I dissolve it in a Bucket of Water before adding? Thanks.

Guess According To Pool School, Calcium does not have to be Mixed In A Bucket With Water
Read that somewhere else.
Pool School Says: "Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool."
Guess I'll do that.
Thanks.

Just got back from Ace Hardware, They have Calcium for $ 21.99 50 Lb. Bag.
While I was there, just for the hey of it, I had my Water Tested.
Just realized they test only for Total Alkalinity & Total Hardness, not Alkalinity or Calcium Hardness.
I'm going with what MY Test Kit reads & adding 360 Ozs of Calcium by The Pool Calculator.

Update: Got my CH to 300. So I won't have to check that for a while.
CYA is 80. Have to Drain.
PH 7.6
TA 100
So things are progressing slowly but surely, thanks to you people & this site.
My girlfriend looked at the pool last night & remarked, "This is the clearest I have seen the water since we moved here."
Guess I was wasting my money on an insufficient pool guy for 7 years.
I read Posts on here daily & learn something new every day.
I love the idea of just using Bleach. When my CYA gets down to 40, I'll love it even more. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slow down. We dont recommend changing to many things to quick. There is a recommended order in what should be fixed first. I cant remember off the top of my head but pretty certain CYA is first. Since that will require a patial drain and fill soime of that calcium you just added might be wasted depending on the hardness of your fill water. Other will be along to assist with full proper order to make changes

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.