Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Painting / Resurfacing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Painting / Resurfacing

Hi all,

I've followed TFP for a few years now, and I finally have an issue I'm not sure how to fix. I have an inground pool, and I'm almost positive it's plaster (taking a wire brush to it will gouge it). Anyway, the surface had become somewhat dingy and after talking to a few people, I decided to repaint it with a waterborne acrylic. It's been a few weeks, and the paint has blistered in several spots, even though I followed the company's instructions. At this point, I'm not sure what the best option is; the blistered spots have to be fixed. Since the surface wasn't corroded or chipped/cracked to begin with, can I just take the paint off and leave it be? Or is there something else I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15k IG - Plaster, with attached spa
    Hayward SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter
    Century Centurion Pump - 1.5 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Painting / Resurfacing

Welcome to TFP!!!

We generally do not recommend the use of paint in pools because at best it seems to last 1-2 years if the prep is perfect.

I am not sure if you could somehow better prep the blistered areas and repaint them and hope for a few years before it all starts pealing again. Or just try to remove all the paint now and live with the "dingy" plaster until you can have it re-surfaced.

What made it dingy? If there were stains, those can usually be removed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason,
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I'm learning toward removing the paint, but is there a best way to do it? Should I just sand it, or is there a chemical to use? Lastly, per the paint instructions, I had sanded the pool surface prior to painting. Is there any risk involved with leaving it a sanded plaster surface (algae, etc)? I'm not sure if there's some protective sealant or anything else that was removed when I sanded it. I believe the stains were due largely to chemical imbalance (objects leaving imprints), and the top step had become brownish.
    15k IG - Plaster, with attached spa
    Hayward SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter
    Century Centurion Pump - 1.5 HP

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no typical "protective-coating" on plaster. It just may be a little rougher after the sanding.

Not sure of the best way to remove paint.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!