Yet Another What Pump Should I get? Thread

Apr 16, 2013
New poster here.

I have an older pool(at least 15-20 years old) that is about to be replastered with Stonescapes Mini Pebble. I currently have a 1.5HP pump but I am looking at getting a 2 speed 1HP pump such as one of these:

Pentair Superflo Inground Pool Pump
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350345710180?va ... 1438.l2649

Jandy Stealth Energy Efficient Pump 1.0HP 2-Speed SHPF1.0-2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270738206750?ss ... 1438.l2649

The Pentair is roughly $200 less than the Jandy. I am looking for something that is efficient and quiet. My cost of electricity is .09KWH. I don't have any water features and I have a Polaris booster pump for my cleaning.

From my reading on here, I don't think I would benefit from a VS pump for the extra cost. What do you guys think about these two pumps? Will I be ok with a 1HP pump? From reading here, I have gathered that I will. I plan to run the majority of the time on low speed. Are there other pumps that would better fit my pool in terms of longevity, noise and output? Thanks for your help and this great forum!

The Jandy is a full rated pump while the Superflo is an up rated pump not to mention they are really not even in the same class of pump. The Superflo will be much more efficient (~18%/27% high/low) due to the lower flow rates.

Mark,
So the Superflo would be the better buy then? Why is the Jandy so much more in price? The reason I ask is several of the builders who bid the job, when asked about pumps, Jandy was a popular choice. Most didn't have much to say about efficiency and all just wanted to replace with another 1.5HP pump.

Welcome to tfp, Badgerpilot :wave:

Badgerpilot said:
Most didn't have much to say about efficiency and all just wanted to replace with another 1.5HP pump.
More upcharge (if by percent) in their pocket? Also, we have seen many examples of poolbuilders being poor specifiers of equipment (and pool chemistry maintenance).

The Jandy is a bigger pump designed to move more water ... which costs more in electricity. Do you have a need for the higher flow rates? You said you did not. So go for the smaller pump.

Also, you should be able to find that Pentair for at least 10% less than that link you provided. Also I like the use or the included unions and the Superflo comes with a speed switch installed on the motor ... many other pumps do not come with these 2 features.

I think the Jandy Stealth is more comparable to the larger Pentair Whisperflo and the Hayward Super II.

Most PBs stick with what they know and understand which isn't much when it comes to energy efficiency. So they will tend to replace like for like which is safe for them but not cost effective for you.

jblizzle said:
Also, you should be able to find that Pentair for at least 10% less than that link you provided. Also I like the use or the included unions and the Superflo comes with a speed switch installed on the motor ... many other pumps do not come with these 2 features.

Any preferred vendors? I noticed those features as well. My DE filter is a Pentair as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.