Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yet Another What Pump Should I get? Thread

1. Back To Top    #1

Yet Another What Pump Should I get? Thread

New poster here.

I have an older pool(at least 15-20 years old) that is about to be replastered with Stonescapes Mini Pebble. I currently have a 1.5HP pump but I am looking at getting a 2 speed 1HP pump such as one of these:

Pentair Superflo Inground Pool Pump
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/350345710180?va ... 1438.l2649

Jandy Stealth Energy Efficient Pump 1.0HP 2-Speed SHPF1.0-2
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/270738206750?ss ... 1438.l2649

The Pentair is roughly $200 less than the Jandy. I am looking for something that is efficient and quiet. My cost of electricity is .09KWH. I don't have any water features and I have a Polaris booster pump for my cleaning.

From my reading on here, I don't think I would benefit from a VS pump for the extra cost. What do you guys think about these two pumps? Will I be ok with a 1HP pump? From reading here, I have gathered that I will. I plan to run the majority of the time on low speed. Are there other pumps that would better fit my pool in terms of longevity, noise and output? Thanks for your help and this great forum!
    20,000GAL In Ground, DE Filter (60sqft), Mini Pebble, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns, Pump ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yet Another What Pump Should I get? Thread

The Jandy is a full rated pump while the Superflo is an up rated pump not to mention they are really not even in the same class of pump. The Superflo will be much more efficient (~18%/27% high/low) due to the lower flow rates.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Mark,
    So the Superflo would be the better buy then? Why is the Jandy so much more in price? The reason I ask is several of the builders who bid the job, when asked about pumps, Jandy was a popular choice. Most didn't have much to say about efficiency and all just wanted to replace with another 1.5HP pump.
    20,000GAL In Ground, DE Filter (60sqft), Mini Pebble, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns, Pump ?

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, Badgerpilot

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerpilot
    Most didn't have much to say about efficiency and all just wanted to replace with another 1.5HP pump.
    More upcharge (if by percent) in their pocket? Also, we have seen many examples of poolbuilders being poor specifiers of equipment (and pool chemistry maintenance).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The Jandy is a bigger pump designed to move more water ... which costs more in electricity. Do you have a need for the higher flow rates? You said you did not. So go for the smaller pump.

Also, you should be able to find that Pentair for at least 10% less than that link you provided. Also I like the use or the included unions and the Superflo comes with a speed switch installed on the motor ... many other pumps do not come with these 2 features.

I think the Jandy Stealth is more comparable to the larger Pentair Whisperflo and the Hayward Super II.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Most PBs stick with what they know and understand which isn't much when it comes to energy efficiency. So they will tend to replace like for like which is safe for them but not cost effective for you.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Also, you should be able to find that Pentair for at least 10% less than that link you provided. Also I like the use or the included unions and the Superflo comes with a speed switch installed on the motor ... many other pumps do not come with these 2 features.
    Any preferred vendors? I noticed those features as well. My DE filter is a Pentair as well.

8. Back To Top    #8

I got mine for under $400 in the fall from ezpoolz, although prices have gone up now. Just Google it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

I ordered the 1HP 2Speed SuperFlo today along with the motor cover. Good price, $432 shipped for both!

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pentair- ... 340042.htm
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pentair- ... 221016.htm

Plaster guys are here today chipping out the old plaster.