Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning stains

I've seen where using calcium tablets crushed up in a sock can remove stains from pool surfaces. Can calcium hardness increaser be used in this manner as well? It may be that they contain completely different ingredients, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask since I already have the later on hand.

Thanks,
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning stains

I don't recall reading anything about calcium tablets being used.

You can use trichlor tablets to test if the stain is organic. Or you can use vitamin C tablets crushed up to remove metal stains.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

maybe it was vitamin C. I've been away from the board for a while...

I'm fairly certain it's organic as the stains have faded almost completely with the shocking process. I think I have a couple metal stains from where water ran under the cover around the anchors. I'll try the vitamin C on those spots. I don't have any trichlor tablets, so if the stains don't go away completely, I'll get a couple of those for stain removal purposes.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If the stains were lessened with chlorine, I would simply elevate the chlorine to about twice it's normal suggested level and keep it there for a week or so and see what the stains do. They'll probably go away.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If the stains were lessened with chlorine, I would simply elevate the chlorine to about twice it's normal suggested level and keep it there for a week or so and see what the stains do. They'll probably go away.
    I'm assuming you mean twice the daily level, not twice the shock level.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Yes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School