Pool just plastered/Quartz - Brush or not to Brush

tman

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 20, 2012
Maryland
Started new IG pool build with A&S in November and the Plaster Crew just installed the Ansylbrite Quartz Finish-Sapphire on Saturday. Water level at the skimmers was achieved around 11 pm on Sunday, A&S has scheduled my indoctrination/start up of pump and filter on Wednesday, 3 days after the fill. Prior to plaster crew arriving, PB gave me a booklet about start-up procedures and Do's and Don'ts following the Plaster/Quartz application. PB Instructions are a bit ambiguous--with instructions to begin circulating the water immediately after water level reaches 1/2 way up on the skimmer opening. The instructions also refer to brushing the pool twice daily. Since my filter/pump start-up will occur 3 days following the water fill, what should I do about the brushing? I am concerned that the plaster dust, etc, created from brushing without circulating/filtration will somehow damage the finish or create other problems. I called SUNSTONE -CLi, who manufactures the Ansylbrite Select product, and they were surprised that PB waits to get water circulating. They also pointed out that scale could form, however I am not sure if it would form due to brushing or not brushing. To make matters worse, the wind has been excessive and I have trees nearby that are blowing a lot of debris into the pool. I am working frantically to skim the top for leaves, etc, but the pool bottom is beginning to have a lot of settled debris. I have a call out to the PB for guidance.

Does anyone have any recommendations assuming I cannot get the filtration going until sometime on Wednesday? Should I brush or not brush? What might happen if nothing is done at this time? Thanks!

Tony

Certainly brush the pool, more brushing is better.

It isn't a great idea to leave the pool for three days without the equipment running, but it also isn't a good idea to go against the builders advice. Check that with the builder when you can get through to them.

Without brushing you can get an uneven surface and stains which become embedded into the plaster and can not be easily correctly later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.