suggestions on how to clean this disaster??

May 13, 2013
Long story short. Bought a house on short sale that had the pool.clearly the pool was neglected. We took the plywood cover off this weekend and this is what we saw (see pics). We drained the water, I'm aware of the Sayers of draining a pool with a vinyl liner but I'm just curious on how you guys would attempt to clean this? Im talking aboit the black line on the wall not the leaves on the bottom. It is an 18x36pool so iI'd prefer to save the liner if I could. Oh and fyi....pressure washing the liner did nothing. Worked great on the stairs but wouldn't help the liner at all.

Attachments

• 20130511_150600-1-1.jpg
    20130511_150600-1-1.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 303
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Likely the vinyl has been stained by the organic matter in the pool. Using a bleach solution should help remove some of the staining, but I would not hold my breath on it becoming perfect.

Liquid shock and water removed the lighter stains very easy. Just let it sit on the stain for twenty min then washed away. For the black stains the chlorine hockey pucks move them. All I had to do was put the puck on the stain wet it down with a hose and let it sit twenty minutes. See the pic below. The wall stains are gonna be a little harder only because they are vertical and I can't make the water or chlorine pucks stick to the walls. I'm thinking ill have to put some solution in a squirt bottle and keep squirting in on the wall.

Attachments

• 20130519_135736-1-1.jpg
    20130519_135736-1-1.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 202
We inherited our vinyl AGP with our house purchased off of forclosure. We have no idea how long the pool sat before we bought it, but it sat another year after we bought it.

We drained it, vacuumed it with two shop vacs. and used two soft bristle scrub brushes and soft scrub with bleach and a hose.

soft scrub with bleach works really well on cleaning my father's boat so I figured it would be good on the pool. its been 2 years now and the liner seems fine. it has some bleached out spots, but those were there before we touched the pool.

i know nothing about vinyl liners and soft scrub, or pools other than my own, but i think the bottle says safe on vinyl and it worked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Robes22 said:
Kjpool that's the exact same scenario I have.bought on foreclosure with neglected pool. Going to scrub it more this weekend I want to be up and running first week of June.

just to let you know, it is a 21' AGP, it took us about 2/3 of a day to drain it, vac it, scrub it, and start to refill it. We didn't want to leave it empty any longer than we had to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.