Purchased a home with a DE or Sand Filter and 24k inground

May 18, 2012
Greensboro NC
I had a hard time searching for DE because it is only 2 letters and the forum search filter ignores it.

I am pretty sure it is a DE filter, but not 100% because I haven't had a chance to open it up yet. So far as I can tell, and identifying markers on the top of it have long since rubbed off, it does however have a multi-position valve on the top of it. I am currently out of town, but will take pictures when I return either Friday or Saturday.

I am posting because I want to open the pool this weekend, to see what is under the cover, and since I am out of town all I can do is research/post.

I am wondering if there are any tips/tricks to getting an old DE filter going again. I ask because per the listing for the house, the pool was not opened last season.

There is currently no pressure valve, so I know I need to add one. How will I know what "normal pressure with a clean filter" is, if I don't even know how to clean the filter?

I am basically asking, what all do I need to do to be sure that everything (filter wise) is in good working order?

Thank you.

Re: Purchased a home with a DE or Sand Filter and 24k ingrou

Once you can add pictures we can better determine the type of filter.

Either DE or sand, you will likely want to open it up and clean the sand, or clean the DE grids and inspect everything. Once you put it back together and start running (and adding DE if needed), then that will be your clean pressure.

A couple relevant articles from Pool School:
pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters
use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

A filter with a multi-port valve mounted directly on top of the filter is almost always a sand filter. DE filters usually have a removable cover and the multi-port mounted on the side.

JasonLion said:
A filter with a multi-port valve mounted directly on top of the filter is almost always a sand filter. DE filters usually have a removable cover and the multi-port mounted on the side.

I thought of this and then completely forgot to mention it in my repsonse :goodjob:

So for a sand filter, this may be more relevant:
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html#p60821

Thanks for the insight, it is likely sand, I just haven't looked at it much.

I read the sticky on DE filters while on the plane.

I did notice in some threads about DE filters that the pictures looked like the multi valve was a separate piece.

On a DE filter that is old/has not been used in a while, is it possible for the mesh to tear/wear out? Also, is there any way to be sure that the DE has created the required "layer" after being added? I guess the pressure would go up. Since I don't currently have a pressure gauge, I will have to install one.

Are there any common things to look for on an older unit that has been sitting a while? Common problems, red flags, that sort of thing since I have no frame of reference.

I will read up on sand filters and then post any questions. I suppose it was just wishful thinking that it was a DE filter, since they are supposed to have superior filtration. I couldn't tell by just looking at it, because it is somewhat egg shape, but not round like most sand filters that I have seen, and not quite cylindrical like most DE filters I have seen.

I am itching to open my pool, but my TF-50 CYA test needs a refill. I am ordering a replacement on Thursday, but it won't be in before the weekend, can the pool store test be trusted? I can take a sample of water in and they will test it for free, I also have a Leslie's available.

I ask because all of my other tests are running low, but I'm not out, and I really want to get started on this pool. That being said, without an accurate CYA reading, I can't do much of anything.

Should I replace the sand, or take a look at it first? I ask, because I have no experience with these things and would not be sure what I was looking at. Is there any way to tell if there is too much/too little sand? For example, lets say the filter requires 250 lbs of sand, how do I know how much is in the filter? Last question for now, where can I get sand/what do I need to buy if I am going to replace it?

I feel like doing the hose cleanout and monitoring the status of the pool/filter conditions will be good enough, but want to KNOW what I am doing.

Are there any resources here on TFT for sand filters like the one for DE filters? That explain the fundamentals of how they work, etc...

Thanks again guys, you all have been very supportive, and I am glad I purchased a house with a pool so I could continue to learn/enjoy/maintain and be a part of this community.

Sand almost never needs replacing... if there is not enough you can add some... You want sand for pools - You can get it at home improvement centers that have pool departments/walmart/ pool stores.
Jason gave you a link to an article on sand filters that basically explains what you need to know - if you are not clear on anything just post back.

Last night my "clean" pressure seems to have gone up from ~8-9 to ~11-12, any ideas what that could indicate?

Also, at this stage I have been in the shock process for 4 days and I am still backwashing every 3-4 hours, does that seem plausable? Or is something wrong?

Lastly, I can't seem to get an answer on this in my other thread.

Whenever I use my skimmers, even on only 10-20% I get air, I haven't been able to find the source of it, but my question is this:
Does the air negatively impact my filters ability to do its job?

I ask, because the skimmers do such a good job at taking debris off of the top of the pool, and I have also read that you shouldn't, as a practice, only be pulling from the main drain.

Thanks again.

Those air filled gauges are pretty inaccurate. I would ignore it.

you have a lot of junk in your pool and it will need a lot of backwashing...stay the course.

Your system operates at FAR LESS efficiency when you are sucking air instead of pumping water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Like Dave said the gauges sold to the pool market are of low quality, before chasing this one too far I would replace the gauge, perhaps with a better quality liquid filled model (available in the $10-$15 range online from surplus outlets, ebay, etc.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.