CYA over 200+, PH below 6, TA 40, CH 350-water crystal clear

May 13, 2013
Last year my pool was unbelievably crystal clear and stayed that way with very little chlorine added, but the PH stayed extremely low (bright amber) not even on the scale. CYA was not on scale, black dot disappeared before getting half way to the 100 mark. I never found any information about CYA being a problem so didn't worry about it until this year when I opened the pool, really green, added phosphate free and vacuumed to waste several different times. Then I was referred to your site. Our pool is again crystal clear-beautiful. But I decided to buy the tester you recommended and the numbers are pretty much the same as last year. But now you are saying high CYA is dangerous? We have already emptied at least a third of the pool fighting the algae. Water is very expensive is our little town. What should I do and is it possible the city water is high in CYA?

AG, Hayward sand S180T, Hayward pump 1HP, 13,500 gallons, installed 1996.

Re: CYA over 200+, PH below 6, TA 40, CH 350-water crystal c

High CYA isn't necessarily dangerous, but it can make dealing with algae very difficult. CYA binds with chlorine leaving less available for immediate activity.

Your low pH is far more important. It can cause damage to your pool and equipment over time.

CYA is only there if you add it, usually in chlorine tablets or shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.