Gym Pads for AGP Base

May 14, 2008
IL
I am going to need to replace the liner in my pool this year and was thinking of trying a different base than just sand. It is going to be difficult to haul into my backyard and and get in the pool as the entire pool is surrounded by a deck. I've see that you can use the pink foam and am kind of leaning that way, but then I had an idea. We previously had our basement floor covered in interlocking gym mats kind of like the ones seen here except the bottoms are smooth:

http://www.sears.com/sunny-health-fitne ... 648199000P

We recently ripped them all out and were going to throw them away, but it just occurred to me that something like his could potentially make a perfect base for the pool. Any thoughts on this? I would duct tape the seams to make sure we have a solid connection.

I'm fairly sure no one has done this in the past, but that is most likely due to cost. Since I already have them readily available, that isn't a concern for me. Any thoughts one way or the other on this?

I am with Jason on this. I was just checking on the Sears website to see if it listed the actual material used.

If it is reasonably good foam, then you should have a good chance at them working. I know the sun exposure normally causes all sorts of problems with those cheap mats, but being under the pool, perhaps there wouldn't be those issues.

Might be worth trying for a season and seeing what happens.

Bob E.

Yes, it's essentially the same material as the ones from the amazon site (minus the colors)...so high density foam. They are only a half inch thick, but I probably have enough to double up if one layer doesn't seem to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.