Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gym Pads for AGP Base

1. Back To Top    #1

Gym Pads for AGP Base

I am going to need to replace the liner in my pool this year and was thinking of trying a different base than just sand. It is going to be difficult to haul into my backyard and and get in the pool as the entire pool is surrounded by a deck. I've see that you can use the pink foam and am kind of leaning that way, but then I had an idea. We previously had our basement floor covered in interlocking gym mats kind of like the ones seen here except the bottoms are smooth:

http://www.sears.com/sunny-health-fitne ... 648199000P

We recently ripped them all out and were going to throw them away, but it just occurred to me that something like his could potentially make a perfect base for the pool. Any thoughts on this? I would duct tape the seams to make sure we have a solid connection.

I'm fairly sure no one has done this in the past, but that is most likely due to cost. Since I already have them readily available, that isn't a concern for me. Any thoughts one way or the other on this?
    21' Doughboy AGP
    1HP Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hawyard H-150 Heater
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gym Pads for AGP Base

What material are the mats made out of? You don't want to use cotton stuffed mats as they will rot, while synthetic mats might work rather well if they are sufficiently uniform in thickness.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am with Jason on this. I was just checking on the Sears website to see if it listed the actual material used.

If it is reasonably good foam, then you should have a good chance at them working. I know the sun exposure normally causes all sorts of problems with those cheap mats, but being under the pool, perhaps there wouldn't be those issues.

Might be worth trying for a season and seeing what happens.

Bob E.

4. Back To Top    #4

Rob

Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it's essentially the same material as the ones from the amazon site (minus the colors)...so high density foam. They are only a half inch thick, but I probably have enough to double up if one layer doesn't seem to do it.
    21' Doughboy AGP
    1HP Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hawyard H-150 Heater
    Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks good!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School