Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Crystals" floating on water surface -- any thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

"Crystals" floating on water surface -- any thoughts?

New pool owner; specs in signature. Opened it a few weeks ago and have been balancing the water since. Cleaned my filter Saturday morning; added some synthetic DE after getting it running again. The water is absolutely crystal clear and chemicals appear to be balanced, but in the morning (when pump is off) the surface of the pool is covered with these "crystal" like particles. I scooped one up in my hand and it sort of just disintegrated. Here's a photo:
    [attachment=0:2f0hnb21]pool crystals.jpg[/attachment:2f0hnb21]

Any thoughts what this is, and how to get rid of it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15K, IG Fiberglass, Pentair Cartridge, Nature2 Fusion, 2x PoolCleaner, installed Fall 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Crystals" floating on water surface -- any thoughts?

Can't really see...but I can imagine a fluffy seed (like a dandelion or cottonwood) looking a little like a crystal if it sits on the water surface. You sure it's not something like that?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

My guess would be pollen, too. Where are you located? I live in northern Virgnia and I have a lot of pollen on the surface of my pool right now.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kcindc
    My guess would be pollen, too. Where are you located? I live in northern Virgnia and I have a lot of pollen on the surface of my pool right now.
    Pollen makes sense. I'm in Durham, NC. Seems like such a silly and simple answer -- thx!
    15K, IG Fiberglass, Pentair Cartridge, Nature2 Fusion, 2x PoolCleaner, installed Fall 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree also. Lot's of pollen in New York this weekend.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

6. Back To Top    #6

yep, same thing here in South Central KY. I run the net across the surface for a bit to clear what I can and let the skimmer do the rest. Hard to keep up with early in the season though.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Just thought I'd follow up to end the thread. Definitely pollen; skimmer taking care of it. Thanks for the comments from everyone; being a new pool owner I'm paranoid about maintaining water quality!