0 FC after adding so much bleach?

Nov 5, 2012
Columbia, SC
Help! I am fairly new at this. I keep getting a green pool. I keep adding lots of bleach and I keep having lots of problems! Two days ago I tested 0 FC, so I added almost 1000 oz of bleach trying to kill the algae and have a higher FC. Today I tested:

FC 0
Ph 8.2
TA 110
CYA 38

How could I have 0 FC and still have algae after adding so much bleach 2 days ago?????? What do you suggest? I know I am going to add 39oz of muriatic acid to adjust the pH. Is that causing my problem?

Pool store testing numbers I presume? What does your water look like? Just "hitting it once" with a big dose of bleach doesn't mean much. It could easily be consumed. Shocking is a process to be maintained till done. Back up and read pool school a couple of times for a better understanding of the "process". Your Ph is high, but not the problem-your green algae is.

Think of this as a war on algae, and chlorine is your soldiers, the algae has the advantage that they reproduce very fast. What you did amounted to a D-Day invasion against the fortified position of the algae then you did not send any reinforcements for 2 days, so all your troops were wiped out, taking a lot of algae with them and now you have likely given the algae enough time to rebuild its strength. Now the question is where to go from here, my advice is regroup, read pool school, if you don't have one order a TF-100 test kit (see link in my signature, they are near you so you would likely get it in 1 or 2 days regular mail), go buy more bleach, try not to morn the lost bleach you added already, and follow the shock procedures in pool school. This will mean frequent testing during the first day or two (hourly or so at the start) and continue boosting FC as needed while filtering, brushing, etc.

just to share my experience.

when we opened our pool, i poured 2 gallon bottles of 12.5% chlorine in the pool and the FC still read zero. The third gallon brough it up to just register on a test strip, the fourth gallon only brought it up to 5 FC on the test strip The fifth gallon finally got us into shock range, but it didn't stay there very long.

the bleach works, you just have to use enough of it and give it time to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.